Was neighbour supposed to lead-flash the roof boundary during their works?

It doesn't look like there is? Surely not more than 1k cost though + scaffolding cost.

I'm still ****ed that apparently I have to pay to fix this myself when a builder commisioned by someone else is responsible for it, and now I have to check the other side of the roof now just in case.
You have no contract or relationship with the firm that did the work, and they may not have any duty to you (their duty is to their customer). Further, you can't rectify any part of the roof on the neighbour's side of the boundary, unless they explicitly give permission - and if they say "Yeah you can fix it" be careful that that is not agreement for you to fix it at your cost.

What you would do is invite the neighbour to rectify his roof. If he declines, then you have options
- offer to do it and agree costs,
- apply to the county court for an injunction forcing the neighbour to rectify it
- carry out works yourself and sue the neighbour in the county court for your losses
- get the council to take action under their powers - they could force the neighbour to rectify the roof within 21 days, or face action in the magistrates court. This costs you nothing.

Sponsored Links
It doesn't look like there is? Surely not more than 1k cost though + scaffolding cost.

I'm still ****ed that apparently I have to pay to fix this myself when a builder commisioned by someone else is responsible for it, and now I have to check the other side of the roof now just in case.

Get three written estimates for the cost of repairing it to a workmanlike standard, have them explain the issue caused, p/copy them then forward them to your neighbour with a threat to take it to the small claims court route, unless they offer a solution at their, or their roofers cost.

Thanks for the help, appreciated. Unfortunately I am trying to sell the house and legally have to inform of disputes, so if it's not a ridiculous cost, I'll just suck it up and save myself a lot of future pain!

Part of the challenge with roofing is because, unless it's a bungalow, the work carried out is often not that easy to see from ground level. Yes we have great cameras these days which obviously helps, however even then it's not always straightforward to see the newly completed work up close. Drones help if safe to use in the area, although folk that have those will be minimal.

I recently got a roofer, a reputable one at that, to fix some leaking joints in the plastic guttering on one of my BTLs. Job done ... half of them still leaking albeit not as bad. Now struggling to get him back out. I'd prefer to do the job myself however it's first floor and I'm less keen to be going that high on ladders these days.

Sponsored Links
Now struggling to get him back out. I'd prefer to do the job myself however it's first floor and I'm less keen to be going that high on ladders these days.

I had a roofer (sort of) friend out, to replace our TV antenna in mid-summer, doing that, he spotted that some tiles needed replacement, but he didn't have time to do them there and then - despite me having the tiles in stock. He made several promises to drop back to do them, but never turned up. I pestered him a couple of weeks back, and finally got the job done.

I've never liked heights, or ladders, but do find after a few minutes working on them, you get used to them and become more bold/relaxed about it. I have various ladders, and steps about the place, but the only ones able to reach the eaves, are some really heavy industrial alloy double extension ladders. These have always been difficult to use because of their weight, it was really a two man job, even more so now, as I become less fit. So what I've done is offered them on FB Market, to see if anyone might want to perhaps make a swap, for a lighter weight pair.

luckily the insurance surveyor got some photos, unluckily its not covered. I was hoping the property would sell quickly and I could leave potentially changing the whole roof to the new buyers..... yeah, no, I have to fix it now.

Unfortunately the neighbour delayed me a month when getting a new tenement roof last year, they didnt want scaffolding in their property, this led to me having a naked roof for months during poor weather and the roofer charging me more for the displeasure of dealing with her. She also later tried to scam me for insurance for an unrelated issue.

Seems now I will need scaffolding in her yard again. This is utter hell, being in dispute with her ruin any house sale potentially; I truly, truly despise that woman. Even If I dont try and hold her responsible, I am saying that I exepct huge problems getting this human trash bag just to let me erect scaffolding.

Any way new photos. Also.. all the roofers are busy in my city except for 1, wtf?? I think a lot of former ones have gone bust too

Attachments

• Cajjpture.PNG
    Cajjpture.PNG
    929.5 KB · Views: 112
  • Captuire.PNG
    Captuire.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 112
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    432.6 KB · Views: 107
  • Capturhe.PNG
    Capturhe.PNG
    650.5 KB · Views: 111
You need to be bodging that. Mortar fillet running from your tiles down to their slates then a good coating of acropol. Doable from a cat ladder and should last until it's sold.

For cash, you should be able to find someone willing to do a single lift scaffolding tower for less £300.

Recently, in Ealing, west London. I had two lifts at the front of a semi detached house, a single lift on a side extension (approx 4m long and 2m wide and a single 2.5m wide tower to access a first floor window on the rear elevation). It cost me £650 for cash (admittedly, the pointer arranged it, he uses the scaffolders about 10 times a year).

Why risk messing about with roof ladders?

Via google earth I found out they indeed did it start of this year, the neighbour#s builder rather. They removed the whole cement section, used to be the same as the front there!

Cheapest quote so far was over 2k.

Captttture.PNG

For cash, you should be able to find someone willing to do a single lift scaffolding tower for less £300.

Recently, in Ealing, west London. I had two lifts at the front of a semi detached house, a single lift on a side extension (approx 4m long and 2m wide and a single 2.5m wide tower to access a first floor window on the rear elevation). It cost me £650 for cash (admittedly, the pointer arranged it, he uses the scaffolders about 10 times a year).

Why risk messing about with roof ladders?
Roofers dont seem to let me use my own scaffolding company also this is the layout: thats old scaffolding on google earths latest photo btw, disaster that her court isnt accesible right next to the wall.
Capturewwwww.PNG

Any idea why its not leaking on neighbours side btw?

Oh. The guy was only there for a couple hours and I got this done without scaffolding. Hope it holds, sadly there is a chance I will not sell this house and have to deal with it, depending on if I get gazzundered etc.

IMG-20231110-WA0000.jpg

luckily the insurance surveyor got some photos, unluckily its not covered. I was hoping the property would sell quickly and I could leave potentially changing the whole roof to the new buyers..... yeah, no, I have to fix it now.

Unfortunately the neighbour delayed me a month when getting a new tenement roof last year, they didnt want scaffolding in their property, this led to me having a naked roof for months during poor weather and the roofer charging me more for the displeasure of dealing with her. She also later tried to scam me for insurance for an unrelated issue.

Seems now I will need scaffolding in her yard again. This is utter hell, being in dispute with her ruin any house sale potentially; I truly, truly despise that woman. Even If I dont try and hold her responsible, I am saying that I exepct huge problems getting this human trash bag just to let me erect scaffolding.

Any way new photos. Also.. all the roofers are busy in my city except for 1, wtf?? I think a lot of former ones have gone bust too
get it to auction .......and walk away ....it'll probably be let out then(y)

My old roofer said thats the wrong bonding gutter that was used and I am in danger of my tiles flying away in the wind... is he exagerating?
Right I may lose even more money by auctioning. Ill wait for a buyers survey on the roof maybe heheheheh. I know I from what Woody said that I can force her neighbour to fix it, just not sure if the insurance survey was good enough to convince her without resorting to formal routes. it only says:

"It would appear that the ingress of water is coming into the property where the property'sroof meets with the new roof of the neighbour.
This would be due to the seal between the two roof areas of the two properties. Our surveyor advised that this would be due to the workmanship of the contractor who completed the roof repairs."

Realistically hes probably focked the front up too right? Am just luckier atm. This roof I think shouldnt have been tiled anyway, its an 1880s viccy property. How likely will I need repairs every couple of years? Probably quite high, gotta factor that into renting it... Please dont exaggerate here though guys, its potentially a tough call on selling atm, depending on offers over next 2 weeks. The first photo is old one fo the front (still her old roof there, but that column of concrete joining our is still there unlike in the back)
Captureddd.PNG

IMG-20211214-WA0078.jpg
IMG-20211214-WA0080.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back