Was neighbour supposed to lead-flash the roof boundary during their works?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I now have water ingress exactly under the photo's displayed boundary in the attic. Looks like their new tiles are underneath mine. Both viccy properties.
Should I have posted this in the buildings regulations forum?

An unusual thing to note is that this inherited proeprty has been empty for quite a while, and I have no idea when the neighbour's roof was installed. I will contact the insurance company on Monday, thankyou.

Attachments

• IMG_20230926_122359.jpg
    IMG_20230926_122359.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_20230926_122825.jpg
    IMG_20230926_122825.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 270
Sponsored Links
The people who replaced that new roof are responsible if you now have a leak and you didn't before!

The people who replaced that new roof are responsible if you now have a leak and you didn't before!
Thanks, I have no idea when the roof was changed though, might not even have been done by the current owners.

Wtf?

The roof work was god knows how long ago, and you now have a leak?

You'll need to sort this out yourself at your cost, unless the defect is on the neighbour's roof aba they are receptive to dealing with it.

The normal thing would be to talk to the neighbour and agree how this will be investigated and paid for depending on what is found.

Sponsored Links
got a surveyor coming on the insurance tomorrow. i got a photo right now tho
bigger problem is how do i know if the neighbour is lying, they might have got that roof done 2 years ago for all i know. they already tried multiple insurance scams on me, so im hoping this is payback, the *****.

Doesn't this endanger their house too? and what fiiine workmanship ffs

It should have some form of bonding gutter between the two roofs?

If the water penetration is caused by a defect on the neighbour's roof then they would normally be responsible.

As always with such things, it's a case a proving responsibility and or liability in negligence. It's not always easy, and what should or should not have been done with the joint does not automatically mean liability.

Your insurers may just deicide to rectify it and bear the cost as that would be less than trying to fight a negligence claim with the neighbours. However if that's the case, you need to ensure that that does not impact your own no-claims period and increase your premium next year.

You need to contact the roofing company who did your neighbours roof to give them a chance to rectify the defective workmanship.

Insurance companies answer:

"Our surveyor advised that this would be due to the workmanship of the contractor who completed the roof repairs and would not be down to a one-off insurable event. It has been found the damage suffered does not fall within the items covered under the terms and conditions of your policy, and that the actual cause of the loss is as a result of poor workmanship"

They say I have to go to the workman myself. Seriously? I thought the way this works is my insurance company talks to his insurance company or I sue him. I think this ***** has got the same workman to put in a new roof on the other neighbours side too. A new one was done there 4 months ago. Although I'm not 100% sure it's the same guy, I do know she uses the same builder a lot of the time.

I assumed it was when the new roof was put in.

Last edited:
Anyone know the usual non-london cost to fix this roughly please? Thankyou

Is there a bonding gutter, I think it's a prerequisite when joining roofs.

That work looks sh1t.

Is there a bonding gutter, I think it's a prerequisite when joining roofs.

That work looks sh1t.
It doesn't look like there is? Surely not more than 1k cost though + scaffolding cost.

I'm still ****ed that apparently I have to pay to fix this myself when a builder commisioned by someone else is responsible for it, and now I have to check the other side of the roof now just in case.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back