The New FERREX bushless commbi drill "Out Now!" (Aldi stores apply)

Surely using an impact driver is actually the best way to drive screws in seeing as all of the energy is delivered to the bit? The least stress on the wrist and less than a drill IMO.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Surely using an impact driver is actually the best way to drive screws in seeing as all of the energy is delivered to the bit? The least stress on the wrist and less than a drill IMO.
The exposure limits for hand arm vibration, when using impact drivers, can be surprisingly low...

Screenshot_20230911-181500_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

What is HAV - Hand Arm Vibration? presumably? What does that figure mean in real terms?
I'm unsure of how it's calculated, but will look into it.

The 15.5m/s2 comes from the Makita datasheet under - Vibration Emissions (using maximum capacity of tool)

And the EAV and ELV are exposure values determined by the HSE...
Screenshot_20230911-190232_Chrome.jpg

Sponsored Links
It makes me laugh how impact drivers, big heavy, awkward to carry, impact drivers have become de-facto cool tools for scaffolders. The light, easy, proven scaffold spanner lost out when the neanderthal gene kicked in.

But yes, I've also seen chippies fitting prestige doors and fittings with impact drivers. There must surely be excess stock of unused pilot drill bits on sale somewhere.

It's much quicker using a driver than a scaffold spanner when you're using it a few hundred times a day.

Red is a warning! on anything over 82db and ( hav ) above 8 is considered high.
I remember a few years ago you hardly ever heard scaffolders erecting scaffolding, now you can literally hear them half a mile away, I suspect most have no appreciation of the impending health risks of swopping over to those tools.

I'm unsure of how it's calculated, but will look into it.

The 15.5m/s2 comes from the Makita datasheet under - Vibration Emissions (using maximum capacity of tool)

And the EAV and ELV are exposure values determined by the HSE...
View attachment 313775

Good spot. You can download the list for each of their tools

Impact wrenches seen to have even higher rates of vibration, but it is worth noting that the tests seem to have been conducted using the tools to deal with the largest capacity screw/nut/etc.

If I had to use a concrete breaker for hours on end, I would be worried about white finger syndrome, driving 50mm screws into softwood for a few hours (with an impact driver) would not worry me too much. That said, If I was doing it for 8 hours a day, that would be a horse of a different colour.

sorry to break up disscusion but back to OP

The drill has stopped working! I mean it will turn the screw head or the drill bit when it is inserted at setting 1-21. but when i press on the surface i want to drill/ screw, it dose nothing, the motor turns but not the screw/ drill bit

I have just tried it again! this time just turning the drill clockwise but with only drill/ screw piece in it and not pressed to surface and the motor turns only inside but not the drill bit!

The word setting instead of settings that threw me! anyway if you hold the screwdriver bit in your hand and pull the trigger on all settings !!! does it do anything?

which gear is it in?, does it fail to drill in both high and low? or is it currently in neither gear?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back