Balanced Flue Gas Fire Question

Gas is being burnt @ 8 or 9 kW

where's that heat going? Radiant to the room, convective within the plasterboarded cavity with some convection/radiation eventually to the room as things warm up and lastly chimney losses.

I'd be hard put to it to measure and disentangle these three.

Sponsored Links
So ran it for 3hrs tonight, checked the meter on the hour, every hour, the fire if nothing else is consistent. But the figure has thrown another layer of confusion.

It was using, on the nose, 0.84 m3 per hour. Which would be somewhere in the region of 9.0-9.4 kw per hour. Though on the manual for the fire it states 7.8kw input, How or why should be drawing so much more than its max input?
So this was an error, the input for this fire is not 7.8kw. Someone from the shop had written 7.8kw on the install sheet, but when you look at the manual it does clearly say 8.7 kw input (Hi) 9.7kw input (HS)....

What is the difference between Hi & HS?

Either way, atleast we know now atleast the gas feed is fine, consistent and the fire is accurately drawing its max..ish.

1714497776427.png

Gas is being burnt @ 8 or 9 kW

where's that heat going? Radiant to the room, convective within the plasterboarded cavity with some convection/radiation eventually to the room as things warm up and lastly chimney losses.

I'd be hard put to it to measure and disentangle these three.
Yes fair comment, the installer came back today to have a look, he did point out that those vents in the faux chimney breast are pumping out a serious amount of heat that you wouldn't really get on a conventional flu. He is right to be fair, but i wonder if that bumps up the efficiency on the fire! as 9.7kw input and 7.5kw output doesnt seem like 94% efficient :unsure:

Sponsored Links
but when you look at the manual it does clearly say 8.7 kw input (Hi) 9.7kw input (HS)....

What is the difference between Hi & HS?

I think Hs is gross and Hi is net. They are always 11% different. It's to do with the amount of heat which is lost through the flue in the water vapour.

I think Hs is gross and Hi is net. They are always 11% different. It's to do with the amount of heat which is lost through the flue in the water vapour.
Nice, so the higher of the two is what we see at the meter right?

I wonder which the fire manufacturers quote. Lower “looks” better I guess

Your table shows "Useful Efficiency" based on "NCV". That is net calorific value. If it was based on gross calorific value, the efficiency would be about 10% less.

Your table shows "Useful Efficiency" based on "NCV". That is net calorific value. If it was based on gross calorific value, the efficiency would be about 10% less.
And there in lies my confusion. Even if you take the lower input value, of 8.7kw… the output of 7.5kw, isn’t 94% of that.

So how can this be advertised as a 94% efficient fire? 94% of what?

And there in lies my confusion. Even if you take the lower input value, of 8.7kw… the output of 7.5kw, isn’t 94% of that.

So how can this be advertised as a 94% efficient fire? 94% of what?

I was wondering the same myself! Are there any more efficiency figures?

I can't see anything obvious which would explain it. If you get the answer, can you post it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back