Balanced Flue Gas Fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a balanced flue gas fire in our living room. Installed (we believe) when the house was built in c1990.

The previous owners of the house had "some trouble" with it, but had someone to fix it before we bought it (the house!).

Until the other day, it was working fine.

Now, turning the control knob, will not light the pilot light (which we then usually hold the dial a few seconds, then turn to full). Nothing happens, apart from the "click" of the dial.

I spoke to a neighbour earlier and asked him if he knew any Gas Safe people who would be able to look at it. He said he did, but commented that he had noticed our fire "smoking" from the flue and that his gas engineer had commented on it before. He advised me that the gas might not be burning right and so it might be time to get a new fire.

So. Firstly, I don't intend to attempt to do any work on this myself. However, is it likely that this fault / faults will be repairable? If the gas engineer is going to tell me to get a new one, and charge me for his call out, I might as well start saving for a new fire and save the call out fee.

If however, these problems can usually be rectified cost effectively, I shall call him.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Was it smoke or water vapour? Was it on a cold day?

Probably would have been a cold day, as we only put it on when it is particularly cold.

There are sooty stains on the bricks above the outlet, so I'm guessing it is smoke.

Tried to light again earlier- got the blue pilot once, but didn't hold long enough and it went out. Now back to square 1.

I'm guessing I have 2 separate problems.

Well a 21 year old fire may need a bit of attention, especially if it hasn't been serviced recently... If parts are available for it and it is in reasonably good shape then it can be repaired, if not then start to save up...

I'd be inclined to take the opportunity to block up the hole left by the flue and fit an electric fire if it needs changing...

Sponsored Links
The black marks do not sound good.

The faults are probably repairable at a reasonable cost, especially compared to the cost of a new one. However at that age, parts may not be available. What is the make and model?

Is there a space between your flue and ypur neighbours land? Rules have changed and so we sometimes find that we can not replace a defective appliance!

The best approach would be to phone your neighbours RGI, and explain your concerns, and ask how he charges in the event of a non repair possible. Make sure he is EXPERIENCED with, and ticketed for, fires.

Thanks for the advice guys.

The current fire is a Fireflame BF by Main.

In answer to a couple of other questions- the flue does not point towards our neighbours. We are on a corner plot and it points out to the road- a good few metres between the house and the road.

We think it has been looked at by someone (by the old neighbours) but this may have been before or after the neightbours' RGI noticed the smoke. The old owners had a BG serviceplan but not sure if this was just for the CH or would it possibly have included the gas fire too?

How cost efficient are electrc fires compared to gas?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back