Wind Turbines

All I know is that Trump said the windmills cause cancer- he wouldn't lie, would he?

Edit- and yeah, the guy who claimed to be an authority mixed up windmills and wind turbines .

Sponsored Links
Has there ever been a successful hydrogen based project? There must be but I'm struggling to think of any. The Hindenburg worked for a while but it had a few issues in the end. Since then it's been downhill.
Plenty of time for thorium / modular versions to be sorted out. There is a demand hence the interest.

Max charging rate can be a problem that needs battery cooling. The particular vehicle mentioned is rather niche.

A modern 33tonne vehicle will use ~60L of diesel for a 200km range. You can work out 200miles for yourself. Also for range against speed look at MG's cars web site. They give the info. Ok for cars but a feature of any battery vehicle.

I said evaluation not commercial use. No point unless there is loads available. It's essentially sorted but needs that.

You also mentioned PV. Your likely to here complaints about China in that area. I may not take much notice of that having been involved facing the same problem when Japan was accused of the same sort of thing. One major problem competing is they had the volumes. All sorts of side effects. Also for pure PV and nothing else storage is needed. It uses up land. Excellent idea on houses but similar problems. Roof systems are coming along that don't involve fitting over the usual roofing. They may not catch. Perhaps due too many houses having solar eventually. Pass.
SMRs aren't expected to be cheaper than large nuclear, ever. No one involved in them is making that claim, at least not before 2050. Their advantage would be quicker installation and potentially quicker planning but that'll only be after the first multi decade case gets past every objection under the sun.

ALL EVs use battery cooling systems, cars, HGVs, Ships and planes. The Tesla Semi uses a 750kW charger for their 900kWh battery, supposedly good for 400 miles. 400 miles isn't niche, it's 8 hours driving. Mandatory rest breaks mean you'd need to be stopping somewhere around then anyway so you might as well charge.

Hydrogen HGVs have been looked at but they just don't work. There isn't the infrastructure and there never will be. Technically there's no reason they couldn't work, but they'd cost 16x as much as an EV and something like 4x what a diesel costs to run at the moment. It's economic insanity.

It always amazes me how many people talk about how things need to be tried to looked at without actually looking to see if they've been tried or looked at already.

I've been following up on this, posted on another thread. According to some reports, hydroelectric can release more greenhouse gases than fossil fuels. Especially in tropical climates, where most of the planned renewables will be hydro. It's a bit depressing!

Yes that was me - here is some more reading.
https://www.bbc.com/future/article/...-dams-are-a-hidden-source-of-carbon-emissions
Do you start to see now why some people are sceptical about the whole global boiling narrative and have questions - they are not climate deniers - flat earthers and the rest of the tropes but people with eyes open asking questions and not just swallowing what their government tells them - especially when the doom is followed by needing to tax you more to save the planet.

Last edited:
Yes that was me - here is some more reading.
https://www.bbc.com/future/article/...-dams-are-a-hidden-source-of-carbon-emissions
Do you start to see now why some people are sceptical about the whole global boiling narrative and have questions - they are not climate deniers - flat earthers and the rest of the tropes but people with eyes open asking questions and not just swallowing what their government tells them - especially when the doom is followed by needing to tax you more to save the planet.

The world experienced its hottest April on record, continuing an 11-month streak of unprecedented high temperatures, the European Union’s climate change monitoring service has said. April was 1.58 degrees Celsius (2.84 degrees Fahrenheit) warmer than an estimate for the same month in the 1850-1900 pre-industrial period, C3S said. While there are temperature variations associated with natural cycles such as El Nino, “the extra energy trapped into the ocean and the atmosphere by increasing concentrations of greenhouse gases will keep pushing the global temperature towards new records”, said C3S director Carlo Buontempo.

Eastern Europe and most of Africa particularly heated up in April, C3S said, backing reports of record heatwaves that forced schools to shutter in South Sudan and saw countries like Slovakia record their highest daytime temperatures above 30C (86F) in spring. Parts of South and Southeast Asia, from Bangladesh to Vietnam, were struck by scorching heatwaves, while southern Brazil, the United Arab Emirates, and the East African countries of Kenya and Tanzania have suffered deadly flooding. Pakistan recorded double the normal monthly rainfall in April, making it the country’s wettest month in more than 60 years. Much of Europe witnessed a wetter-than-usual April but southern Spain, Italy, and the Western Balkans were drier than average, C3S reported.

Average sea surface temperatures were also unusually high, breaking records in April for the 13th consecutive month, despite the weakening El Nino, the agency said.

Sponsored Links
Haven't read all 45 pages but has anyone mentioned that once at the the end of their life the blades cannot be recycled and are being buried in giant landfills by the 1000,s

Haven't read all 45 pages but has anyone mentioned that once at the the end of their life the blades cannot be recycled and are being buried in giant landfills by the 1000,s
Yes, then we pointed out that they are now being recycled.

Steel, Concrete, Carbon fiber. Steel and concrete are heavy emission activities at the moment.

They are transported using petrol/diesel vehicles. Most construction equipment is also petrol/diesel powered at the moment but there are electric plant in use in some places.

They're mostly recycled at the end of life. The blades are the only exception, recycling has only just started happening for them.

They last something like 20 years. The trend is that they are removed at the end of life right now as the technology has moved on so it's more profitable to replace them with fewer, larger turbines. If they can't then the towers and foundations can be reused and a new nacelle can be installed.

They pay for themselves in emissions terms in around 6 months, financially they're the cheapest form of electricity. If they aren't on the CfD then they're making a killing.
An excellent post if I say so myself.

An excellent post if I say so myself.
You didn't mention that the blades were going to landfill
tre.JPG
Capttture.JPG

I wonder where the Fiddlers Ferry chimneys went.

I wonder where the Fiddlers Ferry chimneys went.
Split up, last i heard. Their guitarist will be at Cropredy with F.port Convention and i think the drummer's in rehab. Again. A fine folk-rock band in their day.

So
You quote it like the whole blade is being recycled when in fact most of its volume is being burned !.
Solutions are being developed, that's the way things work.

Do you start to see now why some people are sceptical about the whole global boiling narrative and have questions - they are not climate deniers - flat earthers and the rest of the tropes but people with eyes open asking questions and not just swallowing what their government tells them

I believe you are conflating different things here. That's what often makes it so difficult to have a decent (or honest) discussion with many people on the denial/deflection side of the debate. I think it always helps to go back to basics. Separate out the question of whether global warming is happening, from what we actually do about it.

The basic principles of the science are straightforward. Greenhouse gases absorb long wave infra red radiation and this causes them to heat up. The earth radiates long wave infra red radiation. Human activity has massively increased the amount of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere. Greenhouse gases in the atmosphere absorb this radiation and heat up. This is causing the earth to warm up. Is there anything there you disagree with?

What we do about it is another issue and an extremely difficult one. If some of the planned solutions such as burning wood and hydroelectric are really just fiddling the figures then they are pointless. But that just means we need to come up with better solutions. It doesn't make the problem go away.

Sponsored Links
Back