Williams Superslim Autotorque torque wrench calibration

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Around 25 years ago my Father purchased a Williams Superslim Autotorque torque wrench for me in 15-70 Nm 1/2" drive.

I cannot find a reliable contact address or website for the Manufacturer who I believe are / were based in the UK.

I enjoy using like the wrench a lot as it has sentimental value and is nicer than my Britool torque wrench.

In preparation to change the oil on my beloved motorcycle I recently discovered that like an idiot I had failed to reset my Williams torque wrench and it had therefore been left under tension for a few months. I cannot tell you how annoyed I am with myself about this.

I have attached a four photos of the torque wrench and would be very grateful indeed if anyone could advise which of the three screws shown in photo 2, photo 3 or photo 4) is the calibration screw? There seems to be a single screw by the drive and then two screws at the same point midway down the handle (covered by some tape which was fitted by Williams at the time of manufacture).

Alternatively is the adjustment via removal of the end cap on the plastic handle or removal of the complete plastic handle?

I would be very grateful for your expertise on this please

Kind regards

Paul
Photo 1.jpg
Photo 2.jpg
Photo 3.jpg
Photo 4.jpg

Sponsored Links
I don't understand what you mean by "left under tension" do you mean left on particular setting rather than winding back to zero. If so is this something you need to do with a torque wrench as I always leave mine on the last setting used.

Yes, by left under tension I mean it had been stored at say 50nM. After using a torque wrench they should always be set back to zero before storage

Sponsored Links
I would be very grateful for your expertise on this please

Checking the calibration is not difficult.....

Put the square drive end in a vice, attach a loop of string at exactly one foot from the centre of the square, and some know accurate luggage scales to the loop. Set the wrench to 50 ft/lbs, then pull the opposite end of scales, until the wrench clicks, whilst watching the scales - it should click at 50 lb.

If it's really important to you, have the tool calibrated correctly by Avery Weigh Tronix..........Brummie based, you'll get it back in 3 days.
They made weighing scales in the good old days.
John :)

Cheers people for the contributions, I am aware of how to check if the tool is calibrated, however I would still appreciate a response to the question on how calibration is made in the event that it requires it.

Last edited:
however I would still appreciate a response to the question on how calibration is made in the event that it requires it.

I would hazard a guess, that calibration is done, by removing the two screws, to gain access to the spring - then adjustment is made by adding, or removing shims on the end of the spring.

Many thanks Harry, I will have a look at those, greatly appreciated

You could always compare how it performs in relation to the Britool one.
i.e. tighten a wheel nut using the Britool and then the Williams. Do it at different setting and compare the results.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back