Will a window lintel be ok above French doors?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have purchased an off the shelf French door 2090mm x 1190mm to be fit in place of a window which is around 2000mm wide with the top of the window being around 2200 above the DPC. The house is a mid 70’s build standard cavity wall construction.

I want to fit the doors tight to a finished edge rather than centrally in the window opening, bricking up on just one side.

i have read that a window lintel is not suitable for French doors and that the window lintel should be removed and an RSJ installed. Is this so? It seems strange as the window surely requires no more support than the French doors.

As a bit of background I laboured on building sites when I was younger and I have some limited bricklaying experience. I’ve build garden walls, retaining walls, internal stud walls, hung and fit doors, general DIY etc so hopefully this isn’t beyond my skill level? Your help and advice much appreciated thank you.

Sponsored Links
As you're not extending the opening the existing lintel will be fine.

If you have a long span for bi-folds you often need an RSJ as lintels sag too much. Maybe that's what you're thinking of?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back