Where/how can I learn to use a router?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Where/how can I learn to exploit the full potential of a router?

Sponsored Links
Get yourself a Trend catalogue. They do videos too I think.

i found that the best thing to do is to get hold of loads of off cuts of timber & practice,practice,practice its alot of trail & error but well worth it in the end just remember to do it somewhere well ventilated if you're working on mdf as the dust is a nightmare and gets everywhere and i mean everywhere. :)

Sponsored Links
Practice seems the best answer. I don't use much mdf, mainly I use "real" wood, but the dust will still be a problem, which is why I asked about dust extractors in another thread (which got removed, for some reason)

Practice is the key to routing.

There are courses to learn routing, they last 2 days and are expensive.

I would suggest a good book, then you can pick what you want to know and practice that bit.

I got bitten by the routing bug 25 years ago and now have 6 of them.

There is a massive range of bits & pieces available to help construct jigs & fixtures and once you go down this road it's hard to find something the router can't do, infact this becomes more interesting then the project itself.

All modern routers come with a clip on perspex adaptor to connect a hose for extraction, I choose not to use them because they obscure your view and the hose can make it difficult to handle.

If you decide to get a book, I can recommend " The Router Handbook by Patrick Spielman", Sterling Publishing.

Hope this helps.

heeelllooo handyman
was the link above a joke :D :D
as its no more than fixing to hold a hose firmly in situ :p :p

and of course with a router you need maximum movement :D :D

No, it's not a joke. You connect your dust extractor to the nozzle (100mm dia flexi pipe) and it sucks the dust from all around the work area. A pukka dust extractor (rather than a glorified vacuum cleaner) has a fair old 'suck' on it. Of course, it's only efficient where the tool is stationary and the workpiece moves (such as table saws and router benches). However, the extractor also has an adaptor to fit on tools, and 100mm flexi ducting is much more flexible than vacuum cleaner pipe.

When I asked for experience on dust extractors elsewhere on this forum, all the replies were deleted for some reason, so I asked around local guys I know, and the suppliers.

are you using the router as a spindle molder :?: :?:

if not the router throws out chips 30.000 rpm

the only dust extraction that will do any good is the all
enclosed round the cutter area

a general suction in one area im afraid will make
little difference as the router throws chippings and
sawdust in all directions :confused: :confused: :confused:

heeelllooo handyman

on reading you last posting PROPERLY i see you have it coverd
and i appologise if my comment looked at all condicending
:oops: :oops:

big all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back