Where could water be coming from?

You have an inset sink already. Just reseal it unless you want to renew the lot at more expense.

Thanks just there's a big hole in corner, how do I seal it? It's the size of a 10 p coin where the woods rotten.

Attachments

• 20240426_181504.jpg
    20240426_181504.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 13
Sponsored Links
Seal from above making sure all gaps are filled in. I'm not saying it will be perfect, or look the best, but it depends how far you want to go. It could do for now until you are ready to replace the worktops.

Thanks. I don't mind how bad it looks so long as totally water tight and no water can seep though?

Sponsored Links
Yes. it will do until you renew the worktops.

Thanks. Is it possible to replace just the worktop where the sink is? Not the other part where the stove is?
Just that we have yet to move in and the place is full of dust etc due to a rewire so if we replace the worktop this would be the best time really.
What do you think the cost would be?
Wouod we need a gas engineer ? And a plumber?

What about if I just put silicon around it as it is?
You mean like the last person upon whom you bestowed the following consideration? :)

the POOR diy job by last owner by sticking that blob of silicon
Is it possible to replace just the worktop where the sink is?
No, it will look gash.

Take the sink out and re-seat it on a new bead of silicone. The way those sinks are made they often don't have a good flat lip in the corners to take a bead of sealant. If you find yourself in that situation, fill the corner in first with a blob of silicone flush with the rest of the lip, then bead onto it

we have yet to move in and the place is full of dust
You're bike-shedding. There are bigger issues. The wood is not totally rotten; seal it up and leave it alone until you're ready to change the entire kitchen - you clearly like the worktop as you considered changing only half of it.

You don't need a plumber or a gas fitter to re-bead the silicone on a sink. Anyone patient who has iced a cake before can do it

You would have to to check, whether it is, or isn't intended to be mounted flush - difficult to tell from the photo, but a flush version has a wide lip around the edge, to enable a good seal to be made against the worktop. When I have fitted sinks in worktops, I have always made a point of sealing the raw cut edge of the worktop too, just in case of leaks..

You mean just to get a new sink rather than the whole work top?
Sinks don't come attached to the worktop do they? You have to seal them in?

The top left corner of sink lip is slightly raised above worktop which allows the water to come through. But why is this? I press down on it but it pops back up? Everywhere else is tight

Unless you are desperate to spend money.....

Reseal the sink as advised. The top of the worktop looks fine.
Clips normally pull the sink down. There is one in your pic above.
Another option is to seal it and put some heavy items on it until the silicon sets. Tin of paint, bucket of water, etc.

Any practical family or friends that could help you?
It is a reasonably straightforward job. You really don't need to replace the sink or worktop :)

Thanks all.
Yes I think I will take the advice most have suggested
Can I ask where should I seal it or bead it some mentioned? Is beading it the same as putting silicone on it?
Where should the silicone go? I'm sure I read to put in two different places?.ie ontop and underneath?
What's a goog quality silicone?
I know someone mentioned "sealing the raw cut edge of the worktop too, just in case of leaks". So have made a note of this. Where the other part to seal?

I know most will say no need to do this but could I buy a brand new sink with a wider lip and slot in? What would I need to do? Measure the current sink and find one the same size that has a wider lip?.do they come with those clips with the sink?

There's loads of videos on youtube about installing kitchen sinks.
I am DIY and did my first one this year for a neighbour.

Dow Corning sealant was linked earlier and is a quality product. Go for clear

Where the worktop has been cut to fit the sink, it is good practice to waterproof the exposed chipboard (wood).
Wood glue painted on with a brush will do the job.
Doesn't look like that was done on your sink.

You could fit a new sink. Don't think you need to personally.
You will need the measurements of your current one. And the cutout measurement.
It may be necessary to cut a bit more off of the worktop.
New sinks come with clips.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back