What width should i build my garage opening?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I'm building a single garage and wanting to know what the standard opening size is for the brickwork. I've measured another single garage and that is 228cm inside of the opening brick to brick. I have been granted permission for a 3.3m wide garage. I was going to build piers that are 47cm wide each then the 228cm opening making the width 322cm total. Does this sound about right?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
A 2 brick pillar will be 440mm, if you have planning for 3.3m make it that size otherwise you may regret it later, which would make your door 2420mm(just under 8ft).

Thanks for the reply Charlie. I'm hoping I can build the opening to a standard size to keep the cost of the door down. Are doors readily available in 2420mm?

Attachments

• Screenshot-from-2020-02-23-13-09-57.png
    Screenshot-from-2020-02-23-13-09-57.png
    103.6 KB · Views: 16
The brick sizes you shown are Australian i think, in the UK a brick is 215mm, 8 ft is a standard size which is 2438mm, you could fit a smaller door and increase the pillars to 2 1/2 brick giving more space inside the garage, depends on your car size too.

Sponsored Links
Hello,
I'm building a single garage and wanting to know what the standard opening size is for the brickwork. I've measured another single garage and that is 228cm inside of the opening brick to brick. I have been granted permission for a 3.3m wide garage. I was going to build piers that are 47cm wide each then the 228cm opening making the width 322cm total. Does this sound about right?
Thanks
Garage door size in feet + 6" for the goal posts (frame).

Garage door size in feet + 6" for the goal posts (frame).
Or +4 Inches if you make the frame out of 2X2.

Before you finally decide get your hands on the installation instructions as that will guide you on the dimension of the Width of opening in the brickwork, the recommended frame dimensions and the height of the opening.

Go for the maximum width; otherwise you might find you can get the car into the garage but you can't then open the car door wide enough to get out of the car!

Thanks for the replies all. I've decided to go with an 8ft door which is 244cm.
244 + 44 + 44 = 332
I'm guessing 2 cm over won't be an issue with the planners?
Some garage doors hang off the backside of the piers so with that in mind 8ft opening would be fine. We've decided on a brand called garador so will have a read of the installation stuff

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back