What is a secondary return?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had an unvented hot water system fitted. The plumber said that the secondary return inlet is not required and has been capped off.

Can anyone tell me what this is for, is it correct that I don't need it?

Cheers,

Jack

Sponsored Links
generally not used unless you have a large house or small hotel say.its a return leg from the furthest tap back to the cylinder ,that way the pipe work wont end up full of cold water and the guest wont have to waite 1/2 hour to get hot water out the tap.

Thanks for the information.

Does that mean that the pipework loops from the top of the cylinder, feeds all the relevant appliances and then returns to the cylinder? By my reckoning this would ensure constant hot water rather then a leg of cold water (that was once hot!), or am I jumping ahead of myself?

Jack

Sponsored Links
Yes you got it right. Often it needs a brass pump - you do calculations based on the relative densities of hot vs cold water, the heat lost in the loop etc to work that out. Then you need to time the pumping so it aint going all night, then you have to spend a small fortune on the correct grade of insulation, or put electric trace heating on the pipe.

Or you decide its a hell of a lot easier to just wait for a few seconds, and cap off the secondary return...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back