Water damage to joist

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of the joists under my bathroom floor has been damaged by water leakage. When i first seen it it was wet after soggy chipboard sitting on it i let it dry out then a building firm came and said it was ok and painted some green stuff on it. I am now putting down a new plywood floor so the joist has been exposed again, i was doing work in the area with a chisel and a top layer of the joist was just flaking of. I seemed to get rid of this loose top layer which in parts could be around a 1/4inch deep and the damage is about a foot in length. Is there any treatment i can apply to the joist to stop any further deteriation and is the a suitable filler i can use to level the top of the joist after treatment. The joists are substantial things 7 1/2inch deep and this damaged joist has a second joist butted up to it and the two have the partition wall resting on them.

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't bother trying to fill the top to level it. I'd get a piece of new joist and fix it to the side of the existing one if that is possible. If you really want to level the existing one I would recommend cutting all the loose stuff out neatly and put a piece of packing wood in there.

Cheers for the input, somebody at the builders yard said this morning i would be better cutting the affected bit out so thats what i done. 3hr,s that chiselling took me, cos some of the joist is under a partition wall. I definetly wouldnt recommend it, especially when youve got a runny nose :) . I was gonna screw a piece of 4" x 2" down the side as the new floor didnt have much to sit on so now it will kill two birds with one stone. Im gonna use a bit of hardwood to fill the cut out. Ive also painted it with some chemical stuff i bought today. Hopefully that little lot will cure the problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back