Water damage from neighbours?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My neighbour has a flat roofed porch and the water run off is running into the void between the house bricks,

This has caused all the plaster and wood on my window to rot, and god knows what other damage

Would the damage to my property be covered by his insurance or would I have to pay for the damages

Obviously it is his responsibility to fix the drainage issue, just wondering about my damage

Cheers for any advice
Jamie

Sponsored Links
If you can prove it was caused by his porch then it will be his responsibility, but you may need to talk to your own building insurers who should deal with him/his insurers (if he has any).

Photograph and document everything you can, especially when it's raining and you can show where the water runs to. If you have any proof that you asked him to fix it in the past, that will strengthen your claim.

Sadly I had the same thing last year in my house...the insurance companies (both) said it was MY insurance I had to claim on even though it was my next door neighbour's issue that caused the problem.

They said the only time I could claim on her insurance was if she repeatedly had the issue and we would pursue for negligence.

In the end I fixed the problem myself rather than claim and lose the XS and have a claim against me.

Maybe you'll have more luck, but this seemed to be the case with a few people I spoke to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back