Water butt pressure pump?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have gravity fed cold water downstairs which is adequate, but the outside tap is in the garage some way away. Using a connected hose is obviously next to useless for most tasks. So I thought about linking a few butts together and installing a pump. That was until I looked...I just want a basic, no frills 1 bar pump to attach to the butt.

I'm no expert plumber so would value your opinions for any solutions.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
That sounds like you are trying to to supply the hose from the loft tank and not the mains supply or is your water supplied from a well.

Sponsored Links
depending on what you want to water and how much flow you need - maybe a pond pump
or a water butt pump

Just to clarify. Yes, we are on well water. The house has a pressure pump for upstairs and all showers, but the rest of the cold water is gravity from the tank in the loft which is where the outside tap is connected to. This is just too low for the long hose our large garden needs. I've looked into submersible pumps, but they don't seem to have the pressure needed and are mostly for emptying.
The intention is to link several butts together so there is a good reservoir, so looking for some solution that delivers 1+ bar of pressure.

That Draper water butt pump will empty a butt or two or three fairly quickly...
I still have similar one from my old home where I had butts filled via the downpipes from the bungalow roof. House before that at top of a hill in commuter-land had a dribble from the mains water in summer evenings, but fine at off-peak use times.

https://www.toolstation.com/einhell-dirty-water-pump/p18104 is 0.9 bar and capable of 18 cu m per hour (at a larger bore than your 1/2 inch hosepipe, naturally).

Is there a reason not to take a 'tap' off the well pump output itself and use that (having checked any running time/rest time limitations) and with suitable back-flow prevention, of course?

Thanks guys. Can I ask, would the Draper and the Einhell supply sufficient pressure for 1/2 inch hose do you think?

I can't easily tap off the well pump as it's operated by float switch in the attic.

May need a larger diameter pipe, I would think there may be too much resistance in an 1/2 pipe which could strain the pump but you should contact their tech support for guidance

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back