Washing machine drum full of water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I last used the Indesit washer/dryer 3 days ago.
This afternoon I was going to fill the drum with laundry but it was full of water.
I used a sponge and bucket to empty it and thought I would have a look
at the pump pre-chamber to see if anything was stuck in there.
It was clean and clear and the impellor turns freely.
After looking on Google and Youtube I suspect I may have a faulty water inlet valve.

I did a wash cycle and it works fine and the water drains away fine so I have isolated the tap.

It is 9 years old and there is a sticker with a phone number for spare parts.
Is it best to order from that number or look elsewhere? I have found a genuine spare part for £42 or an alternative manufacturer part
for £24 online.

Sponsored Links
Post a picture of the waste water hose where it joins to under your sink, I suspect that the water is from your sink flowing back into the machine.

Andy

To empty it, run a spin cycle.

It is filling either from the electric inlet valve (if clean water) or the sink waste (if dirty). The inlet valve may have failed or collected sediment such as limescale or rust flakes.

It will take you about a minute to turn off the plumbing isolation valve under the sink. Tomorrow you will have your answer.

this is the plumbing isolation valve under the sink, the blue hose screws onto it. The electric inlet valve inside the machine is quite different.

Sponsored Links
Thank-you for the replies.
The washer/dryer waste pipe is not connected to the kitchen sink.
It is in a small utility room.
waste pipe.jpg

Think you need to check where the flexible cold water pipe is fixed to the washing machine.
Expect a course filter at that point. It may have broke-up and a price of it is now lodged in the inco.omg water valve which is letting a small amount of water through.

Your waste standpipe cannot be the source, so the smart money is on the electric inlet valve.

Apart from Bosch, the valves are a standard fit. One of the reputable appliance spares suppliers will mail you one.

Until it arrives, just turn off the plumbing tap when the machine is not in use. No point in taking it apart until you have the new one.

Incidentally, the incorrectly-positioned waste hose syphoning water from the kitchen sink is a very common problem in dishwashers and washing machines, but not what you have got.

Pumps last 5 years then a lottery on life expectancy.
Our washing machine would empty then one day not. Switch off and on and it would work ok for a week then stop and machine would fill with water.
My theory was the pump rocks back and forth to start spinning. I think they can spin either way depending on the rocking to start.
I think the seals degraded and water caused a weak pump that some days would not go and machine just stayed full of water.
I thought it was the pressure sensor and swapping it fixed machine for a month...
Swapped pump (£24) and all good for last 2 years.
Easy job.

Any flashing lights? Lights staying on? It's error code.
Our error code was pressure sensor. Water problem.
Was pump

Thank-you all for the replies.

Fred, the coarse filter is in tact and not broken, please see picture.

Wayners, there are no flashing lights of error codes. I did a wash yesterday and it worked as it should.
I then turned the blue water isolator tap off.

John, I had to go out this morning and took the top off the washer/dryer before I went to get a look at the electrical/water inlet valve.
Please see pictures.
I found one that looks like mine for £42

and on the same website an alternative manufacturer for £24 but the colours on the 3 terminals are a different colour so I may be better off buying the original part.

My washer/dryer is Indesit IWDD 7143 S S/N 501292434 80625600095
Electrical inlet valve.jpg
Inlet valve top.jpg

When mine failed, I bought the original part. The local repairman fits non-original unless the customer requests branded and is willing to pay the difference. From a reputable supplier I suspect they are the same. Probably made by the thousand in China.

Inlet valve passing - turn that blue CW inlet valve off, when you are not using the machine - if that fixes it, fit a new inlet solenoid valve.

Funny thing is, the original part in my washer/dryer has a sticker with "Made in PRC".
I wonder if that is the peoples republic of China?

Attachments

• Made in P.R.C.jpg
    Made in P.R.C.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 13

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back