VAT

I'd just cut the civil service in half. I know people who are civil servants and they are either doing no work at all or doing fake jobs. They are honest about it. They are earning over £70K and have very generous pensions waiting for them when they retire - unlike large numbers of people in the private sector who are paying for the civil servants.

There are lots of unemployable nutters in the public sector who are just endlessly in spats with their managers, produce little if any work, perform poorly, and seem to be involved a lot with HR Dep processes. Very difficult to sack. One person I know of was fired by a government department - eventually, after more than 18 months of being a complete waste of oxygen and driving everybody mad - then claimed to be trans, threatened legal action against his former employers for discrimination, and was then hired back again into "his" old job. Now showing up at work pretending to be a woman and being the same old arsehole wasting everybody's time and money. This sort of thing is disturbingly common. I would make it much much easier to bin such people with no right of appeal. HR departments can be dramatically cut.

Anything to do with DEI or ESG can be scrapped. Most of the ecology stuff is now bonkers and making it impossible to get anything built. I'd scrap Natural England. The Wildlife and Countryside Act would be sufficient, with some amendments, without the mountain of EU derived nonsense we are now drowning in.

Very very easy to save money. I don't think people will understand my perspective until they've spent some years actually working in the public sector and seeing what goes on. Central government and its quangos are the worst culprits for waste and insanity. Local government better in most cases, performing more essential functions - although definitely room for savings in that tier as well.
I feel sorry for your family and friends

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
VAT was 15%... then 17.5%... now 20% ... are you happy for it to keep rising? Combined with all the other duties and taxes.

It started out at 10% in 1973, which was lower than Purchase Tax

Went down to 8% under Callaghan

There was briefly a Higher Rate for some goods

Thatcher then pushed it up almost double to 15%

John Major pushed it up a bit more

Some quick thoughts:

Ageing population

Hollowed out economy, so in work benefits are needed

Health care is massively more expensive

State pension

Interest on national debt

You are too ill educated and low IQ for me to respond to further. You are now on my ignore list.

Berty is just a RW ranting Karen, who doesn't like being pressed with inconveniences like facts, or reality.

Perhaps the echo chambers that are FaceAche and Mumsnet would be more to his taste (y)

Some quick thoughts:

Ageing population

Hollowed out economy, so in work benefits are needed

Health care is massively more expensive

State pension

Interest on national debt

The tax burden was able to fall in the 1980s from what it had been in the 1970s. And rose / fell subsequently.

The things you mentioned applied then.

What does "hollowed out economy" mean? Like, taking in 750,000 mainly low wage immigrants a year, who are happy to live in crowded housing, to compete with the working classes, so they then need handouts to supplement their wages?

State pension and ageing population applied before when taxes were lower.

Why would health care be massively more expensive? Do you mean that far more people are using it now, a rising proportion of whom have never paid into the system, and in some cases are foreigners who are not actually entitled to use the service at all? Are you also thinking sex change operations, electrolysis for guys who want their beards removed and that sort of thing?

Much of this is down to choice. Choices that are made about what to allow and not allow, and what to spend money on, and when not to spend any money at all. Trying to claim it is just inevitable and to do with fait, and we have no choice, is not only totally ridiculous but also suggestive of a victim mentality.

What does "hollowed out economy" mean?

We now have lots of very well paid jobs and a huge number of low paid jobs. There aren't enough middle paying jobs. This means millions of people need to claim in work benefits.

State pension and ageing population applied before when taxes were lower.

The age profile of the population is changing. We have lots more elderly people. The state pension has increased and now costs £125 billion.

Why would health care be massively more expensive?

Modern treatments just cost a lot more. Amazing things can be done, but they are extremely expensive. Also, people are living longer and that adds to the cost of health care.

The tax burden was able to fall in the 1980s from what it had been in the 1970s.

The 1970s was a very difficult time for the economy. Then in the 1980s we had peak North Sea oil revenue and all the receipts from privatisation. We also let the public infrastructure fall into ruin. There are many reasons. It's complicated.

Much of this is down to choice. Choices that are made about what to allow and not allow, and what to spend money on, and when not to spend any money at all

That is true. We could choose not to give people the best and most modern health care. We could choose to let pensioners and those on low incomes live in poverty.

That sounds like an American study. Wrong country, hun. Also, very biased.

Roads, cars, buses, trucks, vans, motorcycles - motorised transport - all part of a civilized and wealthy society with a productive economy. Getting people and goods to where they need to be relatively quickly, conveniently and affordably. Other modes important too, but we clearly aren't going to find a general improvement in life by winding the clock back to 1900 and depending on horses, bicycles and trains.

I'm saying all of this as somebody who doesn't have a car and walks or cycles most places, or uses a motorcycle for longer distances. In other words, I'm actually doing what the sustainability, anti-car people advocate. A society based on cycling is going to be a very poor one I'm afraid.
Doesn't matter where it is, the issues are the same. Higher density urban environments are far more economically efficient than sprawling car infested areas, such as retail parks.

Another study here:

Summary:

Impact​

We assume an increase in bicycle infrastructure will drive bicycling from under 3 percent to almost 5–6 percent of urban trips globally by 2050, displacing 2.59–2.98 trillion passenger-kilometres travelled by conventional modes of transportation and avoiding 2.73–4.63 gigatons of carbon dioxide equivalent emissions. By building bike infrastructure or converting lanes rather than constructing roads, municipal governments and taxpayers can realize US$2.42–3.13 trillion in construction savings and US$5.91–8.45 trillion in lifetime net operational savings.

This is also mentioned here, where he also looks at some numbers:

I'm not saying that people should not use lorries and cars, but we need to greatly reduce the amount of car use. This has so many benefits its amazing it doesn't happen more.

Last edited:
We now have lots of very well paid jobs and a huge number of low paid jobs. There aren't enough middle paying jobs. This means millions of people need to claim in work benefits.

The age profile of the population is changing. We have lots more elderly people. The state pension has increased and now costs £125 billion.

Modern treatments just cost a lot more. Amazing things can be done, but they are extremely expensive. Also, people are living longer and that adds to the cost of health care.

The 1970s was a very difficult time for the economy. Then in the 1980s we had peak North Sea oil revenue and all the receipts from privatisation. We also let the public infrastructure fall into ruin. There are many reasons. It's complicated.

That is true. We could choose not to give people the best and most modern health care. We could choose to let pensioners and those on low incomes live in poverty.

All that may be so, but it doesn't mean taxes have to go on rising. Choices can be made.

That said, some of your points are questionable. Eg. I doubt very much that modern treatment is significantly more expensive than ten years ago. It hasn't changed that much during that time. I also see you've completely ignored the plausible examples I've provided - this form of avoidance is interesting.

The main thing you've missed, which is very odd, is the covid response. Shutting down the economy for two years and paying millions of people, quite generously in many cases, to do nothing. Plus all the billions poured into the pockets of fraudsters and botched contracts. Oh, and subsidising fast food takeaways. And paying for the trains to run throughout, carrying fresh air. The absolutely vast and crippling cost of that is partly being recouped through the stealth tax that is inflation, but clearly the government's hands are tied on tax when there are such huge debts to pay back. We are paying for the covid response.

Covid is perhaps the greatest example of all of how totally unsuitable government is at understanding and tackling problems. Idiotic modeling, insane diagnosis, crazed and absolutely devastating response on the social, psychological and economic levels. A hopeless Tory government, useless so called experts, massively egged on by a Labour opposition demanding longer and stricter lock downs. It was obvious to me what was going on from the start but a lot of stupid people still misunderstand even now - and are obediently walking into the exact same trap with the so called "climate emergency." But it is going on in different smaller ways. Nudge units and propaganda, in favour of this, not in favour of that, the followers always follow.

The bottom line is quite simple: you are either the sort of person who always believes what politicians tell them, is gullible and obedient, manages to believe that the state makes things better and should consume ever more power and money - or you are not. I'm not going to waste my time trying to persuade the credulous and cowardly amongst us otherwise. The fact that some people will defend, and regurgitate the propaganda of, those who are bumming them is beyond comprehension to me, and really too disgusting to contemplate.

All that may be so, but it doesn't mean taxes have to go on rising. Choices can be made.
So with an ageing population making greater demands on health and social services, and more pensioners, and fewer workers, we can cut something else.

Conservative voters tend to favour cutting things of no interest to old people, such as childcare, education, social housing, sports facilities, housebuilding.

Funnily enough they also disapprove of foreigners bring allowed to come and work in social and health care.

What do you want to cut? Road maintenance? That's been tried, and look at the results.

Doesn't matter where it is, the issues are the same. Higher density urban environments are far more economically efficient than sprawling car infested areas, such as retail parks.

Another study here:

Summary:

This is also mentioned here, where he also looks at some numbers:

I'm not saying that people should not use lorries and cars, but we need to greatly reduce the amount of car use. This has so many benefits its amazing it doesn't happen more.

I don't need to see a sermon on urban planning and it isn't relevant to the thread. There are benefits of cities and downsides to them. Some of us live in cities, some of us don't. Economic efficiency is only one of many considerations in deciding how to organise settlements and life, to the extent it can be organised. Also, I dont know why you are preaching to me to about cycling. I am a cyclist. We don't "need" to reduce car use, it is something you have been persuaded is necessary, by a YouTuber. Sadly, you don't get to dominate and control all life and action in the world - people who are not two year olds or narcissists understand this.

I don't need to see a sermon on urban planning and it isn't relevant to the thread. There are benefits of cities and downsides to them. Some of us live in cities, some of us don't. Economic efficiency is only one of many considerations in deciding how to organise settlements and life, to the extent it can be organised. Also, I dont know why you are preaching to me to about cycling. I am a cyclist. We don't "need" to reduce car use, it is something you have been persuaded is necessary, by a YouTuber. Sadly, you don't get to dominate and control all life and action in the world - people who are not two year olds or narcissists understand this.
My posts have been in direct response to yours. You claimed we don't need cycle paths, whereas I have shown multiple sources showing this isn't true. Many more studies are available supporting my claim that not only does it improve quality of life for many, but the economic and climate change related improvements can also be realised.

Sponsored Links
Back