Tree stumps

Either will work, depends on the angle of attack. Other things is right, clout is key.

So I got all the roots I could see on the first one but even having cut through all of them it would not budge.

It seemed like there were roots directly below I could not access.

Do all roots go out sideways? Seems impossible to get to the ones underneath

Sponsored Links
So I got all the roots I could see on the first one but even having cut through all of them it would not budge.
Key words there are "I could see". Quite thin roots can be covered in soil and essentially invisible but still be enough to hold it in place.

The first time I dug out two tree stumps I, foolishly, cut them off low down and then started digging. The first, smaller, one was hard but I got it out after c. an hour. The second one I spent much longer, scraping away soil and cutting loads of roots before it would move at all. Then I could see more roots, so I kept on cutting, but when I had cut everything I could see it still would not come out.

Eventually I put a piece of wood under the centre and the car jack on that, and gradually cranked it up. Two small 'explosions' later it was free and I saw that the roots that had been holding it were thinner than my little finger.

Do all roots go out sideways? Seems impossible to get to the ones underneath
It depends upon the specie of tree and the ground conditions, but there will always be some underneath and some trees have a main tap-root.

Cut everything you can find at the sides and what you can get at underneath, then try and lever it to one side and see what other roots are exposed. Do that levering it in all directions and you should gradually be able to get at all the roots.

A mattock is good for levering the stump, as well as for breaking roots. Depending upon the size, you may need a mate to lever the stump while you cut roots, or vice versa.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back