Tree stumps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a few tree stumps in the gravel border I am creating.

I am not attempting to dig them up due to time and from what I hear it’s an absolute nightmare of a job!

They were felled last year.

Question is, they have been left for a year and are a bit dank and wet. Can I preserve them when it dries out? I could put plant pots on them…or I could do the Epsom salts thing and let them decompose…if I do that, what happens? Do they just break down or will I have to go back in a year and scoop out the rotting mess?

Other idea is to build a little deck over them and put pots on the deck.

Just not sure what happens when you rot them.

Attachments

• IMG_2636.jpeg
    IMG_2636.jpeg
    846.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2637.jpeg
    IMG_2637.jpeg
    907.6 KB · Views: 38
Sponsored Links
I would just dig them out, I know some can be absolutely turd to do, but I’ve done three now and they were a lot easier once started.

It would be another story if a big oak or something but they are quite small.

I would just dig them out, I know some can be absolutely turd to do, but I’ve done three now and they were a lot easier once started.

It would be another story if a big oak or something but they are quite small.

So I have one of those electric chop saws and a spade. If I dig out the soil around and just slice through the roots with the electric saw then if I jam a fork into what remains and pull hopefully it will come out?

So I have one of those electric chop saws and a spade. If I dig out the soil around and just slice through the roots with the electric saw then if I jam a fork into what remains and pull hopefully it will come out?
I dug out with a spade and a tool off Amazon called a mattock. I didn’t have electric saw so just cut roots with secateurs, Small hand saw etc.

I then used the mattock to get under some area and put weight on it.

Sponsored Links
An electric saw will get blunt quite quickly with the coating of soil on roots, best dug out by hand really.

IMO the key thing when cutting down a tree is to decide if you want to remove the root stump first. If you do then don't cut it the trunk off low down but c. 3-4 foot up. This gives you leverage to help break the roots. This is a bit late for you now, but may help someone in the future.

For scraping out soild so that you can, hopefully, see where the roots are I would us a 'thingamadig', for an example see

I use mine loads, for lots of digging tasks. It gets in places a trowel won't and holds more soil.

I don't know what you mean by a chop saw, but anything you use in the ground will, as @Mike13, says get blunt. For cutting roots I would use an old pair of secateurs and, on thicker ones, an old pair of loppers. If you can't cut them with loppers then a pruning saw may be appropriate (knowing you will probably damage it) or a demolition saw as you can easily replace the blade.

Last edited:
Mattock for those little things. If you have a reciprocating saw, they are handy for severing roots.

I have a mattock.

In the end I had to axe it from the top and split the stump repeatedly from the top.

Is that how it’s supposed to be done?

The roots were THICK like 3-4 inches some of them, not sure if the mattock would do it.

I cut all the roots with the saw and tried to prise it up with a spade. It wobbled nothing more.

I then bought the mattock and tried to use it to lever up. This stump was about 14 inches diameter. In the end I just axed it from the top until it disintegrated.

This first one had been in the ground a year and it was a bit rotted.

The next on I have is smaller but a different harder wood and I tried briefly but it seems much harder.

I presume you locate the roots, chop them with the axe end then try to prize up?

Or split from the top? It will eventually break down but will take a long time.

It took me 3.5 hours to do the first one.

Mattock is the only tool for the j

Mattock for those little things. If you have a reciprocating saw, they are handy for severing roots.

There is no way in hell either of them would come up with a mattock underneath. I’m 16 stone and with my full weight on it, having cut the roots for 2 hours it wouldn’t move.

They look smaller in the pic than they are!

The trick with the mattock is to completely ignore the stump itself, try and dig around until you hit the roots and sever/smash through them. Then the stump can be levered out.
You could contact a tree surgeon with a stump grinder, they'll have those out in about ten minutes flat.

The trick with the mattock is to completely ignore the stump itself, try and dig around until you hit the roots and sever/smash through them. Then the stump can be levered out.
You could contact a tree surgeon with a stump grinder, they'll have those out in about ten minutes flat.

Do I smash through them with the flat end or the vertical end?

I’ll give you a clue, it’s not the handle

There’s two side to it. One has a blade horizontal to the handle, the other is like an axe, vertical to the handle.

Makes sense it’s the Horizontal one.

Things might seem intuitive but bear in mind I work in a professional job and I’ve spent more time measuring my knob with dental floss than operating axes, mattocks and assorted other peasant implements.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back