Tiling onto Block and Beam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I’ve built a suspended block and beam terrace to sit below patio doors.

Plan is to tile onto this using same tiles as inside - 900x600x25 limestone tiles and tiles will end up flush with doorstep.

I’ve built a fall away from house into the block and beam but not sure it’s enough (it’s around 1 in 100).

My query is whether to a) lay a sand/cement screed first straight onto the B&B and create more fall this way and then tile onto this or b) try and tile with the adhesive straight onto the B&B and thicken up the adhesive at the house side?

I need to add around 20mm height at the house side below the base of tile so I think this is too thick/deep for option b anyway.

If screed any recommendations on how to create a grade? Use a dry mix?

If can adhesive is there a product out there that can be set that deep?

Thanks!
IMG_6624.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Hi there really curious to see how you got on with this because I would like to use a block and beam below my 20 millimeter outdoor porcelain? Can you give me an update please much appreciated in advance.?

Sure - we are tiling it this weekend so fingers crossed. So far I have slurried it to lock in the blocks and we are going to use tile backer boards onto the BnB instead of a screed. Quicker and easier to install and similar price.

I guess you're using the boards to further strengthen blocks are not part of the beams - how are you securing them?

Sponsored Links
Yes - backer boards have an extra strength, plus levelled out the highs and lows between the beams, and lastly added the extra height we needed. Managed to add a little extra fall by putting more adhesive beneath the boards on the house side. All in all it worked out well. Just need grouting now!

Attachments

• IMG_8617.jpeg
    IMG_8617.jpeg
    515.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_8621.jpeg
    IMG_8621.jpeg
    744 KB · Views: 27

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back