Taking possession of something you own.

Sponsored Links
The answer to the first post looks to be pretty simple really. A law that gives some protection to the tenant, Also according to some posts if the tenant just decides to leave other law like factors creep in that makes things difficult for the tenant. If deliberately made themselves homeless aspects are true.

I do know a landlord that had a problem that many may go through. The property was bought when buy to let mortgages hit the streets. A while ago now. Initial intent was somewhere for the kids to live. 2 sons. Eventually the property was let. Rent was paid for some years and then the tenant found themselves out of work so no rent paid. Lost touch with him but lets assume the tenant eventually found work. Did UC or what ever was the fashion at the time cover rent????

One of the factors associated with the council house sell off was private rentals. This was considered and an increase in privately owned rentals was expected. Comparisons with other countries were mentioned. Long time ago now but I recollect mention of Germany. I don't think there is much doubt that buy to let mortgages helped increase the number of rentals and also distorted the value of certain types of property in the lower value range. Older larger properties changed to flats. Somewhat different. Were I live there was a number of them. They have drifted back into private ownership and as a result have seen a pretty considerable increase in value. In my case this looked to be ~50% in under 2 years ~30 years ago when we bought and they have climbed ever since. There are still a couple of ones that still contain rented flats but at the higher end of the rental price range. Also 5bed plus sized properties. Odd balls compared with the bulk of the others. ;) One such property is actually a hotel now.

Wrong about what? That I think its bull or a couple of greanades let off inside?
Nowt changed my opinion there boyo.
Are you aware of the situation re property prices in 2007, followed by what happened in 2008?

Believe it or not, depending on the type of property and the area of the country, even in perfectly nice areas, some properties do not appreciate that much in value year in year out. This is especially true after 2008.

I'll leave it there with you on this.

Sponsored Links
The property was on at offers over £73k when I bought it, secured for £75k. If I was to put it on the market now, I can assure you the most it would achieve is £85k. Granted, the sale value was £73k not £75k, so if I sold it tomorrow for £85k that would be £12k profit before expenses based on the sale price not what I paid for it.

Didn't realise you could get anything livable in UK for those sorts of prices these days. Bristol has gone mad on house prices, infected by London lunacy. Lucky to get a garage here for £85K. Though living in Scotland to get affordable prices may be a step too far.

Last edited:
Didn't realise you could get anything livable in UK for those sorts of prices these days. Bristol has gone mad on house prices, infected by London lunacy. Lucky to get a garage here for £85. Though living in Scotland to get affordable prices may be a step too far.
I'm on the east coast of Scotland a bit north of Edinburgh. Perfectly nice 2 bed flats in perfectly nice areas available for £85k.

Some folk (including a few on here apparently) can't get their mindset out of what happens in other areas where yes, £85k wouldn't buy you a parking space. They also can't get their minds around the fact that not all properties appreciate massively year on year.

They need 'understand property for dummies' ...

What did you pay for your house 50 years ago?

It wasn't 50 years ago. brought for 38k - spent 7k on it and sold it for 39k after 7 years - what's your point.

I don't get what your angle is on it - we sold it for a 6 grand loss

I'm sorry to hear it was worth less after all your DIY than before.

Perhaps you will pick up some tips here.

A 33% increase in 17 years.
But what has the value of the property increased by?

Mentioned earlier in the thread.
Bought for 75k, would sell now for between 80-85k.
Next question ...

He keeps trying for an angle but it isn't working for him, so he will just come back with an insult.

Over 17 years?
Sounds most unlikely.
If true, you need better investment advice.
TOLD YOU :rolleyes:

They also can't get their minds around the fact that not all properties appreciate massively year on year.
A lot of that aspect depends on available jobs in the area concerned. Getting distorted of late due to working from home but largely only in areas that are seen as desirable. Nice village, countrified etc, Also shift in business ideas. maybe tourist related.

There are also areas where properties are very cheap due to the state they are in. They can be bought for a song in the hope they will be modernised to an acceptable level.

Bristol and Cheltenham are seen as job magnets so prices are more inclined to soar within their commuter belts.

I see now the reason for lack of understanding.

I no longer have family in Fife or Edinburgh and am out of touch with prices

But interestingly, the wages/house cost unaffordability gap has conspicuously not opened up so much in Scotland.

In parts of England, especially the South, it is incredibly bad.

chrome_screenshot_25 Apr 2024 11_22_18 BST.png

now look what you could get and prob have change left over if you sold a one bedded flat down south .
Yep some of you really havent got a clue about house prices over the country

I see now the reason for lack of understanding.

I no longer have family in Fife or Edinburgh and am out of touch with prices

But interestingly, the wages/house cost unaffordability gap has conspicuously not opened up so much in Scotland.

In parts of England, especially the South, it is incredibly bad.

View attachment 341272
The thing is, without meaning to muddy the waters, in my locality there are properties that have gone up quite significantly in value over the past 17 years (to stick with the timescale of my posts) however equally, there are some that haven't. We don't all live in an area where every ... single ... property doubles in value every 3 minutes. Some folk can't seem to grasp that fact, try as they might to argue the point.

The same holds true for rents. Just because some have either experienced and/or read about exorbitant rents, don't assume that's the picture everywhere, because it isn't.

Places where the average house costs eight or ten times the average wage put housebuying out of reach of most young people. Even if they never eat an Avocado and have a £5 a month SIM deal.

And people on zero-hours contracts or short-term jobs have no chance of a mortgage, however hard they work and save.

Life shouldn't be put on a plate for people....

My parents had to struggle, work hard, make do and mend, save hard for everything they wanted, living in a two up and two down. I likewise had to do the same, and for many years. There was no sense of entitlement, rather it was a matter of providing for oneself, and taking responsibility for oneself.

And getting a house for half of its already affordable price; you omitted that part from your tale of heroic struggle and sacrifice.

And people on zero-hours contracts or short-term jobs have no chance of a mortgage, however hard they work and save.
And that is where private LLs are supplying a service by providing housing for these people.

Sponsored Links
Back