Surface drain blocked

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been clearing the front garden, and I noticed the front guttering down pipe was draining onto vegetation. I investigated further and under this vegetation was a gutter which is completely blocked with soil. I've managed to completely clear around this drain, got the cover off and removed around a foot and a half into the drain, but there is still alot of soil. The only thing that drains into this is the front gutter down pipe so I assume this is just surface water drainage. Is there an easy way. To remove the remaining soil, or is it just hard graft. It's likely been like this for a long time and we've never had any water ingress issues. Any advice
Thanks

Sponsored Links
To remove the remaining soil, or is it just hard graft. It's likely been like this for a long time and we've never had any water ingress issues. Any advice

Might it be a soak away, which is completely blocked up, and need renewing?

Alternatively -Are there any manholes near, where you might be able to trace it to?

Have you a pressure washer, to which you could attach a jetting attachment?

Been clearing the front garden, and I noticed the front guttering down pipe was draining onto vegetation. I investigated further and under this vegetation was a gutter which is completely blocked with soil. I've managed to completely clear around this drain, got the cover off and removed around a foot and a half into the drain, but there is still alot of soil. The only thing that drains into this is the front gutter down pipe so I assume this is just surface water drainage. Is there an easy way. To remove the remaining soil, or is it just hard graft. It's likely been like this for a long time and we've never had any water ingress issues. Any advice
Thanks
As said above, the soakaway drain has reached the end of its useful life. Probably a decade or two ago. They can be prolonged with a trapped gully at the end of the RWP.

Thanks for replies. Sorry for my lack of knowledge but what's a soakway and how does it differ from a drain. Also what is meant by an RWP.
Is this soil issue going to causes any issues in the short term??. I'll post a diagram and pics tonight, but there is no manhole anywhere I know of. Garden was dug out and turf and flagstones replaced around 10yrs ago and nothing seen then.

Sponsored Links
but what's a soakway
A big voluminous hole, deep in the ground and filled with chunky rubble.

but what's a soakway and how does it differ from a drain.
The rainwater drain (pipe) leads to the soakaway from the RWP gully, to the centre of the soakaway.

Also what is meant by an RWP.
Rain-water pipe or (gutter) downpipe.

Is this soil issue going to causes any issues in the short term??.
Your soakaway and drain leading to it are knackered. The rain water is currently soaking into the ground where ever it wants. If that is near to the building then it's not good.

I've attached some images. Where the grate is was completely overgrown with plants growing out of it. I've cleared all this and cleared around a foot and a half down the drain. We have never had any issues in this area with damp etc. I assume it drains into the street drain or into the garden somewhere. I presume it's my responsibility and not the water companies, but would the water company know what it was and where it goes. As I've never had any issues in the nearly 20yrs of living here what's next??
House was built in approx 1974. The black drain is next door. Would they drain to me
We are a small row of terrace houses (4)

Thanks again.

Attachments

• IMG_20240507_192953058.jpg
    IMG_20240507_192953058.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20240507_192702716.jpg
    IMG_20240507_192702716.jpg
    310.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20240507_192642407.jpg
    IMG_20240507_192642407.jpg
    443.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20240507_192628821.jpg
    IMG_20240507_192628821.jpg
    378 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20240507_192722662.jpg
    IMG_20240507_192722662.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 27
I'm not quite sure why the previous posters are assuming it is a soakaway, house of that age would typically run into a mains in the street. It's not unheard of for a drain to fill up with crap off the roof etc especially if poorly maintained as is the case here. I would get some drain rods and start having a poke about. If it only serves your property it will be your responsibility https://draindetectives.co.uk/blog/who-is-responsible-for-drains/ , if you speak to your water company they will send you a map of any drains they have mapped though water company drainage maps are notoriously inaccurate but see what they say. You can also speak with your neighbours, they may be more savvy as to what's what ....

On the boundary between my garden and next doors are alot of bushes, possible they have infiltrated in??? . I've had a read regards soakway, not sure I have one as garden completely dug out a good few years ago to lay now turf and paving, nothing was said. The main surface water grain runs along the kerb outside the house as on the diagram. I had assumed that the gutter water was just draining through the soil. Any ideas of easy ways to get rid of soil, as I'm almost up to my elbow now. I'll contact United utilities.

I had assumed that the gutter water was just draining through the soil. Any ideas of easy ways to get rid of soil, as I'm almost up to my elbow now.

Does the drain, where you have has your ar down, appear to head directly towards that manhole cover, which you describe as a 'road drain'?

I suppose. It's not directly opposite. Posted a picture

Attachments

• IMG_20240507_205826949.jpg
    IMG_20240507_205826949.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 17
S
On the boundary between my garden and next doors are alot of bushes, possible they have infiltrated in??? . I've had a read regards soakway, not sure I have one as garden completely dug out a good few years ago to lay now turf and paving, nothing was said. The main surface water grain runs along the kerb outside the house as on the diagram. I had assumed that the gutter water was just draining through the soil. Any ideas of easy ways to get rid of soil, as I'm almost up to my elbow now. I'll contact United utilities.
Shallow digging won’t uncover a soak away which should be buried deep in garden ( (at least 5m from house under todays regs)

Thanks... Ive e-mailed united utilities to see what they have or know. Im surprised I haven't had a problem with this at all, given there was no drainage at all. I assume it was going onto the grass in the garden and soaking to the ground, although we never have noticed really sodden grass or rivers of water running down the garden

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back