Stinky Peugeot 208

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I recently bought a 2016 Peugeot 208.
Only had it a month and was driving home and suddenly smelled a strong burning rubber smell. Initially I thought it had come from outside through the air vents but everyday when I get in the car you can still smell the same smell but not as strong. It gets less whiffy as the day goes on but noticeable again every morning.
Had a look online but can't figure out what can be causing it.
Anyone had this happen to them before?

Sponsored Links
Loads of possibilities, 1st 1 that comes to mind is the auxilliary belt. But could be so many things. Are you sure its not oil burning off an exhaust? Drips onto it after use maybe, and burns off when engine is started and not enough leaks during use to notice the smell. And repeat overnght again.

Pop into a local friendly garage, see if they can identify for you, and then you know what needs doing, if anything

Hi Carmanmemoranda,
Does it mean the auxiliary belt may be worn and close to snapping? It's annoying when the dealership I got it from supposedly did a 50 point check or something before I picked it up.
Maybe that's the one thing they don't check!
It's only done 34,000 miles so you'd think it'd be a bit less likely to have developed a fault so soon.

Only had it a month and was driving home and suddenly smelled a strong burning rubber smell.
Common cause of that is running over a plastic carrier bag in the road and it sticking and melting on the exhaust. If so, will need scraping off from underneath. Pop into an exhaust place and ask them to check.

Sponsored Links
Ahh..I'd not thought of that Mottie. I might wriggle under and have a look myself :D

Back