Steel in the way

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, I'm planning a new bathroom and thought I'd put a 50mm waste pipe though the bathroom wall but I've hit a steel lintel. Will I have to plan differently now or is there a way out this? I'd much appreciate any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Thank you, Freddiemercurys twin and foxhole, yes, it's a lintel. At first I thought it was my wife's secret treasure chest, but she didn't panic when I told her.
I can't raise the level 'cos I'd have no flow. I'm thinking that perhaps it'll have to be a macerator. The only other thing I thought about was to go through most of the studs in a stud wall, but I don't want to weaken the wall when I 'm going to put up 9mm porcelain.
Are the type of metal products (Metwood?) used for strengthening joists and studs any good.

Sponsored Links
Thank you, Freddiemercurys twin and foxhole, yes, it's a lintel. At first I thought it was my wife's secret treasure chest, but she didn't panic when I told her.
I can't raise the level 'cos I'd have no flow. I'm thinking that perhaps it'll have to be a macerator. The only other thing I thought about was to go through most of the studs in a stud wall, but I don't want to weaken the wall when I 'm going to put up 9mm porcelain.
Are the type of metal products (Metwood?) used for strengthening joists and studs any good.
Impossible to offer further suggestions blind.

Hit it with what. Core drill? Hammer and bolster?
What colour is it?
What's directly underneath it?

Thanks, Deluks, there I was trying to fathom out the micro flow of waste water down the sink hole loitering outside my bathroom when you asked the most obvious question about something I haven't explained very well and can't illuminate with photos because I'm terribly computer illiterate. I suspected I might hit a lintel, so I drilled a smallish hole first with a brick bit, and so it proved.
Of course, the whole problem comes about because in wanting to stick to regulations, I took out the very undersized basin waste pipe (although in thirty years it gave almost no trouble-just the occasional sounds necessitating a dump of gunge to eradicate), and the lintel obviously disagreed with the idea of its much bigger cousin coming to lodge in the wall. Ah well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back