Sour dough bread

You need to get it established first, a feed daily or every two days to get it up to being good to use, then you can use, feed and fridge, and repeat as and when.

I'm just making on at the moment, so have just re-fed the starter (80g flour + 80g water), that now goes in the fridge until I want to make the next... in a couple of days... I get the starter out the night before, and start the next loaf in the morning, using around 130-140g starter.

I'll photo my next one.
I'm lazy, so spend as little time on it as possible.

Sponsored Links
IMG_8247.jpg IMG_8248.JPG

Hot out the oven.

Unlike DP, my folding technique is poor, this was slashed with a small 'X' on the top before it went in the oven.

My starter is 100% wholemeal, the loaf is light malt & white flour, sometimes I sling in some wholemeal or whatever wants using up.

• Thanks
Reactions: DP
View attachment 306974 View attachment 306975

Hot out the oven.

Unlike DP, my folding technique is poor, this was slashed with a small 'X' on the top before it went in the oven.

My starter is 100% wholemeal, the loaf is light malt & white flour, sometimes I sling in some wholemeal or whatever wants using up.
Oh thanks for sharing.

So if you are keeping it in the fridge, what is the process?

- Pour some out to use
- Feed it
- Put it back in the fridge

?

Oh thanks for sharing.

So if you are keeping it in the fridge, what is the process?

- Pour some out to use
- Feed it
- Put it back in the fridge

?
Yes.

Once your starter is active 1-2 weeks.

I use 130g of starter per loaf.

I re-feed the starter 80/80g water/flour then lob in the fridge until next time, this way, you don't have to waste it.

The bread recipe is easy.

In the morning:
130g starter
300g water, combine.
500g flour (what ever mix you want, start with white, as wholemeal will make flat loaves).
Stir together, and leave it for a few hours.

Lunchtime:
Add salt 10g with 10g of tepid water.
Dough hook in mixer (5/10 mins) or kneed by hand.

Leave until doubled usually 5 hours+
Tip out, flatten and stretch out 4 sides and fold in to middle.
If it's weak, repeat, then roll over and scoop into a ball (you might need to watch uTube)
I put mine into a floured banneton, slap in fridge overnight, remove in morning and cook, in a casserole pot.

Each stage only takes a few minutes, this works for me, but adjust to suit your life!

Sponsored Links
This thread is being sliced up pretty badly!

Same here. A trainer in one of the centres I visit makes his own. He said he'll give me some starter when I’m ready - he reckons you have too much of it left over and has to sling it each time.
Must be doing it wrong then as I have 80-100gm plus two backups (one frozen and other dried)
66 of culture is used regularly and same amount put back in till next time- no wasteage

@DP -- I'd be interested in knowing if you have more information on this.

We grow a good amount of veg each year and doing some bread at home would compliment it really well. I love the taste and texture of sourdough, too.
@DP. C'mon, put the recipe up here and we can all give it a go.
Ok.
Will write it out.
Will be a little long winded but have tweaked the process a fair bit so that making sour dough is no longer a chore and no longer making bricks either
If you guys are interested, can through these pages help where I can

Do you need to know how to prepare a starter?

Stater preparation takes about a week. Easier to get some from another sour dough baker.

1. 10gm strong white* and 10gm water ( not tap water if it has additives in it): 20gm mix and put aside on work top.

2. Next day, to the 20gm, add 20 flour and 20 water and mix well- let 60gm mix rest for 24 hours on kitchen worktop

3. Following day, remove say 20gm from above mix and add 20 water and 20 flour- 60 gm plus what is left from (2)

4. repeat process 3 each day.

By the 7th day you should have 60gm mix that is bubbly and active. Rest is discard
This 60 gm can be increased in amount to give you backup by either drying some on greaseproof paper or freezing.

*Instead of strong white I use 1:1 mix of strong white and wholemeal

Sponsored Links
Back