Slump and cracks in filler visible after mist coat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have recently had my kitchen freshly plastered. I left the plaster 8 weeks to dry and then went round filling and flattening any cracks and defects before mist coating. For the cracks i raked them out to a 'V' shape with a stanley knife and then filled with easi fill and filled again until they were full. I then sanded them down and checked for flatness with my hand. They appeared flawless, however, after mist coating i noticed they appear slightly lower now (see first photo). Almost like they have slumped. Also some of the cracks have reappeared. What would be the best way to sort these? I dont want to have to go into major surgery if i can help it. Would a flexible filler such as toupret fill flex be best. As these have only had a single watered down mist coat, would further coats of full thickness paint hide them?

Thanks..

1712850982972.png

1712851105791.png

Sponsored Links
Cracks need to be dealt with before plastering or they come back very soon after skimming.
There are no shortcuts to fixing.
Bungalow or house?

That second one looks like a plasterboard join that should have been scrimmed, or perhaps over a stud.

In a corner or against wood for instance, I use decorator's caulk, in a tube, flexible and seems to last well.

In plaster, good old Polyfilla, the powder stuff, it goes off quickly, grips well, sands flat. Don't mix up too much at once, as I say, it goes off quickly. Wait until it goes white before sanding.

However, if these are cracks in the underlying brick/block, as Wayners said, they will just print through again. In that case, paper the wall, first with scrim paper and then a coat of ordinary paper, preferably vinyl to handle steamy conditions. Stagger the joins.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back