Shock sensor installation advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Installing a Shock sensor on a 4x3 UPVC D/G window. Im intending to mount the sensor on the horizontal section that splits the window as shown below. Whereabouts would you chaps place the sensor. Also what do you chaps use to fix the cable to the window frame.
untitled.jpg

Sponsored Links
a bit more to the right.

hot melt glue (if you must)

trunking

can you still get that small v shaped trunking for single cables ? we used to use that at the corpo.

Sponsored Links
Myself, I would put it nearer to the wall. Getting a cable to a viper in the middle of a window always looks naff. Just don't fix it over a joint in the plastic.

nearer the wall its the worst place to put it.

the idea is by being in the middle anywhere the window is hit the vibrations can be detected.

if its near an end you have to turn the sensativity up for it to detect anything.

if any one doesnt believe my you can stick one on with "blu tac" and try it in various locations, bearing in mind you must hit the window with the same amount of force each time. When you are happy you then mark the position, remove blu tac and fix with screws.

Personally i hate all shock sensors, but if you must fir one it should go in the middle of the protected surface

breezer, they have an operating range of around 2m from the unit itself. You are not going to gain any additional protection by putting it in the middle of a window as small as that. When you consider the force generated by someone trying to wrench a window open, it's a none issue.

In fact, I have just fitted about 40 of them in a domestic, all on the frame near the wall. Not one of them is turned up above a quarter and they work fine. It's all in the way you set them up and test them.

It's all in the way you set them up and test them.

ah, i see, so if you test it and it doesnt work you hit it a bit harder then? :LOL:

I dont wish to argue, you have your opiion i have mine. Arguing between ourselves = locked post and ill feelings, as i said you have your opinion, i have mine, let us agree to differ on this one. :)

any one else can try this.

fill a bowl with water drop a small stone in the middle watch the ripples.

now drop a small stone near the edge spot the differance?

Are you sure you haven't clamped a terminal onto the plastic covering rather than bare wire? Dead common fault, that one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back