Shed roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a bit of a situation.
I have build a summer house (4.5mw x 2.5md) and its all treated T&G with a rubber membrane sloping ( front to back) roof.
We have decided to add on a cooking shed ( 6ft x 4ft) on the side ( so 1.8m front to back 1.2m left to right)
We have clad it in the same T&G so that it lends in. which it does pretty well.
Obviously, as the height is lower than the actual summerhouse you can see the roof ( just bitumen felt) so we got to wondering if we would cover the bitumen with the T&G as it would blend in with both structures.
Would it cause any potential rot problems as it is treated wood and there is is bitumen below ( and we can add TYvek as well)

Any Thoughts?

Thanks in adavance

Sponsored Links
Your problem would be the fixing method as you would need a structure to fix the t & g to and nailing or screwing through the roof covering may give you problems. It is perfectly possible but just bear in mind you have to keep the waterproofing intact and that t & g laid on a pitch roof exposed to the weather will not last more than 4 or 5 years given current weather trends.

Thanks for the reply.
The roof at the moment is 18mm osb covered in felt. I would either nail it direct to the felt roof or put battens on.
Good to know about the lifespan. I wonder if there are clear water protection treatments?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back