Right tool for cutting a 19mm wide slot in a banister rail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a glass sided stair with 17mm thick laminated glass. I want to fit a stair rail. I'm thinking the best way is to cut a slot that's 19mm wide and (say) 20mm deep and epoxy the rails to the top of the glass.

The rail I have chosen is basically a 54mm diameter pole with a 25mm flat on one side. I'll need two lengths of 2.4m and 3.6m

I've had insane quotes to S&F this (over £1k). So I'm considering DIY options.

What's to best tool to cut a slot like this? A router on a router table with guides? A table saw? Something else?

Alternatively can anyone recommend a local joiner (near Pillerton Priors) that won't charge me £550 plus VAT for the labour

Thanks
David

Sponsored Links
A half inch router with suitable bit. Is £550 too much when presumably the glass has to be fitted as well, and all put in place?

Assuming that you mean something like the following "mopstick" handrail.

I wouldn't attempt to do it using a regular router. A router table will be much safer.

Eg- https://www.diy.com/departments/hol...mes-with-1-4-1-2-collets/9120058378010_BQ.prd

BTW, I have never used the above. I am simply showing you what they look like. It may, or may not, be cheaper than buying a decent half inch router and separate table.

Sponsored Links
I think the glass is already in place, he just wants a handrail to sit on top. Plenty of stainless steel handrails can be found off the peg, not so much timber.

The link was to a wooden handrail in timber in 2.5m lengths pre-slotted for glass of various thicknesses and complete with a gasket to be cut to appropriate lengths

not cheap, but imho the exact product needed?

You could buy a pre slotted handrail and have a chippy make a slot bigger?
Although I would check with the handrail Co.

There's a tried and tested system for mounting handrails on glass, you get a handrail with a predetermined slot in it, then a rubber gasket to suit the glass width is inserted with a touch of the appropriate sealant, no need for messing about with cutting slots or using epoxy's or other nonsense.

my thoughts
a picture will be handy
check it will finnish between 900 -1100mm
the glass would have to be 100% in line with no kinks
how will you fix it on
routing will need around 8 passes [2x4] to get the width and depth
you will need full support fore and aft 8m on 3.6m
3mm bearing surface either side off the cutter can come unstuck if you're not careful

I'd slot that on my table saw, otherwise I'd ask a few local joinery companies - the sort that make timber windows and staircase etc. Hopefully one who'd do it in a quiet period for some cash.

Or make up a jig and run a circular saw over it several times until the kerf is wide enough

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back