Removing old tiles from plasterboard walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any advice greatly received.

I have been asked by an old lady to refit her ensuite and bathroom.
I have a professional tiler lined up to tile the walls and floors but I have to remove the old ones first.

The wall tiles are fixed to paramount plasterboard walls (cardboard egg box between two sheets of plasterboard) so removing the plasterboard an replacing with new isn't an option
I need to remove these causing as litlle damage to the walls as possible - I know there will be a certain amount of patching up but need to keep this to a minimum - Any Ideas/advice?

Sponsored Links
I used a scraper (about 3" wide), a rubber mallet and a flat screwdriver. Oh, and a pair of safety glasses. (bits of tile can fly everywhere)

You need to try and get behind the tiles, so I found that if I scored out some of the grout first with the screwdriver then I could get the scraper to sit in a groove. Then I used the mallet to tap/hit the scraper and this, I found, would ease the tile off the wall. Although not all tiles come off too easily. You WILL damage the plasterboard a bit, but once you're done removing the tiles, just use some filler/plaster to fill the holes/chips. Once that is done, it might be a good idea to seal the plaster board with PVA.

Hope that makes sense. I'm not a pro at this, but I've done it 3/4 times now for myself and a friend and have not had any problems.

sparkman
do this lil lady a favour an tell her to get a professional in ...an save yourself being labelled a COWBOY...

my professional advice would be to do a proper job an tell her how much it really should be ....
all plasterboards off an tile backer boards up in wet areas , an new wet plaster boards in rest ,

She may then get a proper tradesman in to do a proper job , not a bodge ... an saves you being taken to court by Trading Standards as a shoddy con man , they jail cowboys now you know ... !!!!

I think this strong reply is fully justified here.....as this board is DIYNOT , not COWBOY NOT

you're a cheery bastard aren't you moz - I'm only trying to help an oap who's on a small pension - I am not a cowboy and resent that implication, I am not being paid either it is a good will job and from the sounds of it you are short of that. get off your high horse and do some good in your life. :eek:

Sponsored Links
Moz said:
my professional advice would be to do a proper job an tell her how much it really should be ....
all plasterboards off an tile backer boards up in wet areas , an new wet plaster boards in rest ,

Moz how do you propose to take the plasterboards off and what will you fit the tilebacker to seeing as the OP has asked said the walls are paramount!!

I would tank the shower area onto the patched up paramount and tile onto the rest after a coat of ADP.

Jason

LOL @ sparkman
Hit a raw nerve there ,! ;)

Jasonb
you can fix tile backer board too the paramount after patching up , I meant not taking it ALL away of course ,lol...lol...lol...lol, :) :)
you can use a good shower tanking then such as BAL WATERPROOF SHOWER KIT, or other tanking systems ...... ;)

Hi Moz,

Good to see you have got your sense of humour back.

Thanks for all the advice from all you guys

Cheers
sparkman
:LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back