Recomended retailer for buying furniture grade pine for floating shelves

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I decided to build shelves using 9mm MDF sandwich around 25mmx50mm baton frame. Some of the batons that I have seen in shops like Wicks and alike aren't very good. The timbe doesn't feel solid and is quite lightweight so I am thinking it isn't going to be strong enough. Can you advise what baton I should look for that would work for this project?
Just need to choose straight with small or no knots .Strength comes from glue and pinning sandwich together .

Just need to choose straight with small or no knots .Strength comes from glue and pinning sandwich together .
Thanks. Out of these two options below, which one would you advise?

A concealed shelf support requires a solid inside not a sandwich, also, given the way concealed brackets work I'd be concerned about getting some really solid fixings into your wall, these shelves + plant pots are gonna be bloomin hefty ....

Sponsored Links
A concealed shelf support requires a solid inside not a sandwich, also, given the way concealed brackets work I'd be concerned about getting some really solid fixings into your wall, these shelves + plant pots are gonna be bloomin hefty ....
These are the brackets that support my existing solid pine shelves. They are more than adequate. I am replacing them with MDF and PAR batons glued and pinned because my existing solid pine shelves are twisted, not by much but visible never the less.

Comments here are divided, some recommend solid timbre shelves and some recommend MDF and baton frame construction.

The treated baton is 25mm the other too thin. Extra baton to rear of shelf to accommodate the supports. If you leave a 2” gap to rear of shelf you can also fix a baton side on to wall and slide shelf over it when mounting to wall which adds extra strength and rigidity to shelf.

So you've got a batten at the back (next to the wall) then one at the front and then what - another batten 100mm from the back to pick up the end of the bracket?

So you've got a batten at the back (next to the wall) then one at the front and then what - another batten 100mm from the back to pick up the end of the bracket?
The plan as foxhole suggested is to have a double batten at the back making up a 25x100mm piece which will take the brackets. I also plan to have perpendicular short pieces screwed with pocket holes to the front and to the back battens.

The alternative is this https://www.builderdepot.co.uk/44mm...D=21825&indexName=production_default_products which i can cut at home with my plunge saw and rail. I have no idea which is best :unsure:

Last edited:
This is an example of one method, you can modify to accommodate your brackets.

Attachments

• IMG_0246.jpeg
    IMG_0246.jpeg
    361.5 KB · Views: 11
Assuming that the batten is going to form part of the front face of the shelf, then you don't want the roofing battens as they'll be sawn not planed and will look rough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back