Radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Probably a stupid question but if I don't ask i'll never learn. Why are there two valves on each of my radiators?

I assume the left one is to turn off and on the hot water supply to the radiator but what does the other one do?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
It turns off the water!

A fiendishly cunning idea in case you want to remove the radiator for any reason :LOL:

Firstly, it does not matter which side a valve is; radiators are bidirectional.

The valve you can turn is there so you can adjust the heat output of the radiator. The other valve is there so the heating system can be "balanced", that is making sure each radiator gets the correct share of the water flowing round the system. If you did not do this the radiators nearest the pump would get too high a flow, so depriving those further along the line.

Sponsored Links

The valve you can turn is there so you can adjust the heat output of the radiator. The other valve is there so the heating system can be "balanced", that is making sure each radiator gets the correct share of the water flowing round the system. If you did not do this the radiators nearest the pump would get too high a flow, so depriving those further along the line.

What if there is no TRV fitted ;)

Don't understand: what are you referring to?

Then you have 2 lockshields, and don't have the thermostatic function of the TRV, only a manual valve to which you can slow or speed up the flow of water to the radiator

How can the flow through the rad be any more than the flow through the balancing valve :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back