Problem with Drive F : CDRW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Running ME Athlon 3K, 256, 80Gb.

Have a CDRW that is not playing ball.

Tried to burn some photos and the drive will not recognise the presence of a disc.

Eg: Ask PC to copy file to Drive F, response "Please insert disc into Drive F" when there is already one there.

Don't ask me what the F stands for, now......!

Sponsored Links
The most obvious possible explanation is that if you have a second optical drive, ie: a DVD-ROM or CD-ROM etc., you have inserted the disc into that by mistake. I don't know you from Adam but am going to assume you're not that daft. :LOL:

How exactly are you "asking the PC to copy file to drive F:"? Which software are you using?

Please try the following, and tell me what happens: go to the start menu, select the 'run' option, type in [code:1]f:\[/code:1] and then when a window appears right click in it, select properties, and see what happens.

:)

securespark said:
Hi

Running ME Athlon 3K, 256, 80Gb.

Have a CDRW that is not playing ball.

Tried to burn some photos and the drive will not recognise the presence of a disc.

Eg: Ask PC to copy file to Drive F, response "Please insert disc into Drive F" when there is already one there.

Don't ask me what the F stands for, now......!

Does that happen with any disc or just recordables?
If it's any disc then drive lens either needs cleaning or IDE cable is loose or drive is buggad. Sometimes just rebooting will sort out errors. With the price of drives so low at the moment it aint worth messing about with possibly faulty units.
If it's just CDR's then either the blanks are faulty (unlikely but possible) or the drive is, again not worth messing about just get a new one (e-buyer were doing some good deals recently).

HTH

Hi Mr Ferret

Cannot do as you say because when I run drive f I get the please insert disk message. cannot access properties at all this way.

Sponsored Links
insert disc right way up!

:D

Seriously, don't have much experience with xp, I run 2000pro but do you need third party software such as Incd which allows to to use cdr and cdrw's (mine was bundled with Nero).

Has it worked before, or have you recently installed?

Hi MMJ

Good 2cu here!

I run ME not XP. Have CD right way up!

Have InCD and Nero

System works fine for burning audio.

Never tried to burn photo images b4 cos only just got digi cam.

Just to make sure I'm not going about it the wrong way, seeing as u have the same bundle, how do you go about burning images to CDR?

securespark said:
Hi Mr Ferret

Cannot do as you say because when I run drive f I get the please insert disk message. cannot access properties at all this way.

Okay, just checking that the disc definitely can't be read. :)

Studders has given a good answer which covers most of what I would have said next. I suggest you go through the possible causes he has listed, if you haven't already, and if you still have a problem after that we'll see if between us we can diagnose it. :)

:D I like to get around! :p

I had all sorts of problems with Nero not working %100, only just got burning videos and images myself - Up to %80 functionality now!

Funny thing is, most of my problems stemmed from Norton I think? It was causing all sorts of stability problems - each time I tried to paste graphics or video files into Nero - it would just close or reboot the machine!

I did a complete software rebuild on my machines to resolve all these problems (2 pcs linked via a crossover cable and using internet connection sharing via a cable modem)

If I had ADSL, I could by a modem/router with a built in hardware firewall, but as of yet I've not seen a cable modem version??? Anyone??

Anyhoo, two bloody days later and problems again! this time WORM_SDBOT.GX - creates a programme msclock.exe that prevents you from running task manager or regedit. No bloody programme can get rid of it! Back to the dos prompt! c:\...

Do you have the mpg2/svcd plugin?

So here are a few things to try (not logical - but down to personal experience!)

Turn off any antivirus/firewall software
Run windows update click here!
Download Nero update and here!

Sorry if that info is a bit (fragmented) :oops: But hopefully some of it might help.

I forgot to ask, when do you get the error message at the burn process stage?

I've just read the thread again...

Usually when you insert blank media into the drive Incd will launch and ask you if you wish to format the drive in UDF file format or whether you wish to run Nero.

Does any of this happen? Incd will not launch if Nero is running BTW.

Incd needs to format the drive so it can be recognised.

Is Incd running when you boot up? It usually displays a flash when you login to windoze.

Incd has a little icon in the task bar area (a globe with a red arrow pointing to bottom right)

Must learn to read threads properly b4 responding... :rolleyes:

Try using Nero ver5 or 6. WinXP does not work with any other versions of Nero without problems. (if at all) The only time you would format CD's is for Re-Writable disks.

You do NOT need to turn off Anti-virus or Firewall, and would never recommend anyone does so, when downloading or installing files/programs from Internet.

If you have XP compatable recording software on your PC, then go to the Hardware makers website and download the latest drivers for WinXP.

mildmanneredjanitor said:
If I had ADSL, I could by a modem/router with a built in hardware firewall, but as of yet I've not seen a cable modem version??? Anyone??

This seems to cover both dsl and cable.

salem2000 said:
Try using Nero ver5 or 6. WinXP does not work with any other versions of Nero without problems. (if at all) The only time you would format CD's is for Re-Writable disks.

You do NOT need to turn off Anti-virus or Firewall, and would never recommend anyone does so, when downloading or installing files/programs from Internet.

If you have XP compatable recording software on your PC, then go to the Hardware makers website and download the latest drivers for WinXP.

Good advice, Except he is running ME (well someone has to) :LOL:

Same applies really, XP is just a newer version of ME. Only difference is XP works, "Just".

Tried ME when launched, went back to 98SE till XP. Still think 98SE was better, other half likes the look of XP, as for backward compatabillity I dont think Microsoft know the meaning of the word. Cost a fortune in new programs.

Thanks everyone for help.

I do not know how to access details of what version nero i have - any clues?

Also, since BT's fire in Manchester on Monday, my phone connection is unreliable (it'll take them till at least sunday to sort it out). At the worst, I can only dial 0161 numbers, sometimes I can dial up the modem after several attempts but mostly cannot dial any number except local without an engaged tone........

It may take me a while to respond to your advice, but I will asap.

I'll try first to download updates to see if that helps. Then maybe the more involved- expensive solutions!

PS. I can find these files on the system, if that helps you to understand

SVCD_X.IMP

MPG2SPLT.AX

You can check if your drive is supported by going to:

http://www.nero.com/en/632012038142166.php

Am not at my home pc at moment, but will try to give you details of location ver number when I can, unless someone else has it to hand. I believe its in the help menu at top right of screen.

Sponsored Links
Back