Plasterboard fixings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I can't believe I'm having to ask this after so many years of doing building work, but can anyone recommend a plasterboard fixing which actually works properly?!

I've given up on the small Fisher Duo plugs, half the time they just mangle themselves to hell and pull out, and don't get me started on those horrible metal screw-in things which just wreck the plasterboard (especially when it's old)

I'm not in need of anything heavy duty, I just need to be able to put up pipe clips and surface mount backboxes without them pulling out immediately!

Sponsored Links
Alternatively, can anyone recommend screws which don't mangle the Fisher plugs?!

They get really good reviews and the way they work looks good on paper, they just don't work in practice half the time!

Can you buy screws specifically for nylon plugs?!

Sponsored Links
Uno plugs.

But TBH, standard wall plugs work well for most things.

Alternatively, can anyone recommend screws which don't mangle the Fisher plugs?!

They get really good reviews and the way they work looks good on paper, they just don't work in practice half the time!

Can you buy screws specifically for nylon plugs?!
Twin thread screws are supposed to hold more securely but ive never had a problem with spax single thread wood screws. Just drill the hole carefully and screw by hand. The duo plugs should be fine.

I was putting up plastic first aid boxes on plasterboard.
I just used plastic plugs and 2 pea sized blobs of CT1 polymer..
Jobs a goodun. Will pull off the surface that can easily be made good.

I've put radiators on the same with just a bit more polymer.

Always carry a magnet to find studs helps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back