Planning request to extend notification time for PD

Tony is correct.

I wonder if the agreement can be withdrawn, and/or the applicant now just crack on with the work on the basis of the 42 day period being expired?

Sponsored Links
A normal planning approval could be open to challenge if the LPA mis-directed itself when coming to its decision. For example, if it ignored a valid report, or mis-interpreted its own policy guidelines, if it could be shown that an application would have been refused had the LPA directed itself properly.
However, a Prior Notification is not a planning application, and the LPA has no input if no-one objects. Therefore, an LPA could not be held to have mis-directed itself, if no decision was to be made. It is purely an administrative error and if a neighbour suffers by maladministration (in this case, not being notified by the council) the only recourse is to make a complaint, if necessary to the Ombudsman.
The law is crystal clear that, in the absence of any refusal by the LPA after the 42-day period - whatever the reason - then the work can proceed by default.
As preiuosly, OP's architect should have taken a tougher line with the LPA.

Great points everyone and very interesting reading!

I am inclined to agree with Tony's point, not from the applicant's point of view, in the legal context it sounds as a procedural impropriety on the Council's part.

Of course, I prefer to have a sound approval by the book as napoleon says, but as I understand it neighbours have no comeback with me, only against the council?

Ok, this is all a bit theoretical now, say someone now comes up with an objection. Wouldn't that be questionable as I could argue that the consulatation period has lapsed and therefore the council have no option but to approve the application? (just curious:rolleyes:)

Sometimes you have to make a judgment call on the basis of what's most expedient.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back