Pipes Banging and Thumping when there's no Activity

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've searched previous posts about noisy pipes and usually it's when there's activity, such as heating or toilet or taps etc. The problem I have is extremely loud thumping. I think there is some steel pipework under the floorboards / in the loft etc. Council house, 1950s. It is more or less constant - every five or ten minutes, really loud banging and thumping. Like someone is banging a cast-iron saucepan against the walls. Driving me mad. It's not triggered by any activity at all, happens when the gas central heating has been off for days and also is not triggered by use of taps etc. It is constantly happening regardless of any activity. The only thing I've determined that will stop it, is if I turn the water off at the main stopcock. Then it doesn't happen. Do you have any advice / ideas etc please as it's driving me crazy! Only lived in the house for a month or so. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
It is constantly happening regardless of any activity. The only thing I've determined that will stop it, is if I turn the water off at the main stopcock. Then it doesn't happen. Do you have any advice / ideas etc please as it's driving me crazy! Only lived in the house for a month or so. Thank you.

The stop tap, stopping the noise, suggests it is external to your property - a neighbour's system generating the noise. Find out which neighbour is absent, when the noise is not evident, then you will know which. Knowing which, you can then go and have a chat with them.

Get the pressure checked and flow rate.

Might need to install a pressure reducing valve and a shock arrestor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back