Petrol strimmer engine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Haven't used it for a while. Took it out to start it, pulled the cord a few times, burst into life, then died when revved up. Repeated this exercise a few more times just to make sure that any crap in the old fuel would get firmly wedged where it shouldn't...
Anyway, emptied the old fuel, put some nice shiny new stuff in, about 38:1 (spec is 40:1)
Gave it a tug, sputtered, and died.
So, when I emptied the old fuel out, it was manky, cloudy, and you could grow mushrooms in the gunk at the bottom...
Primer bulb seems slow to refill, but is in good nick however, there are two fuel lines which go from carb to tank. One of these fuel lines was split, so I sorted that, and this is the one where, when I press the primer bulb, air bubbles and fuel move down the pipe towards the fuel tank. The other line isn't moving. Even when I gave it a wee tweak just to put a tiny bubble in it so I could see it, nothing moved in it when I pressed the primer bulb.
I'm guessing there is a blockage somewhere - any help greatly appreciated. :D

(I know the first thing I should have done was empty out the old fuel and use new stuff, but hey ho - horse has bolted, rounded the final furlong and is relaxing in his stable after a canter around the winner's enclosure on that one...)

Sponsored Links
The primer bulb is used to lift fuel from the tank, fill the small spaces inside the carburettor and then return fuel back to the tank.
Check to see that the fuel lines haven’t severed within the tank, and are you certain you havent swapped the pipes round? The primer bulb needs fuel in it but it doesn’t have to be full.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Took the carb off, took the pipes off, blew through them all, got a face full of petrol at one point (wasn't expecting that...:ROFLMAO:) put everything back together, running like a dream :D

In the meantime I tried my old standalone hedge trimmer... put fuel in and it leaked out everywhere... that'll be next job :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back