Outside BT Cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I would just like some expert opinions please.

We are due to have our drive block paved and needed the incoming BT cable moved as it was originally mounted on the wall of the porch that is not going to be there anymore and where the cable came out of the ground would end up in the middle of the new drive. So I called BT Openreach in to move the cable to a new location and put the BT box on the house wall.

Now I was expecting them to extend the underground pipe that the cable runs through to the new location and put a new cable in from the new location back to the BT underground box just the other side of our front garden wall. The BT guy said this couldm't be done, I beleive due to cost of getting the contractor in to dig and lay the pipe, but he said that he would put in armoured cable so that it would be safe buried under the drive. What he has actually done is to cut the existing cable and join the armoured cable onto it (see picture) which we can bury when the drive is done.

BTCable.jpg

Do you think this is ok and will the join be watertight buried underground. I was expecting a small join that would be pushed back into the pipe so that all the cable exiting the pipe would be armoured but as you can see there is still some un-armoured cable either side of the join that could get damaged. Also, would you have expected him to take the armoured cable all the way back to the BT underground box through the pipe so that there was no join which is only about another 8 feet away.

What I don't want is for the joint to break down in a years time and have to dig up the new drive.

Any advice anyone please.

Regards

Russell

Sponsored Links
That "joint" looks a real bodge from the outside. That said the actual joints inside that wrapping may be sound and weather proof.

If that end of the pipe in the photo is going to be under the block paved drive then the chances of the wire being damaged are HIGH. The wire coming out of the pipe could be pressed down by a loose block and crushed against the edge of the pipe.

They should have cut the pipe below ground and jointed a new length to the house. Also better to have had a new length of cable pulled in rather than a joint in a duct.

Try to pressure BT to do that.

If they won't then can you lay in a duct from where you need the phone wire to appear at the house to the edge of your property at the same point as where the existing BT duct crossed the boundary. The people doing the block work may do this for a small extra fee.

Then maybe BT will pull a new wire in for you. Or if ( when) the existing cable does fail there will be a duct for BT to pulling a new cable ( leave a draw cord in ) Solvent welded waste pipe or rain water pipes make good ducting.

Thanks for the reply,

That's a very good point, I hadn't thought of putting in my own ducting pipe "just in case". Regarding the joint, the BT guy did say that the joint is watertight but they still have to wrap it in plastic for some reason.

I have got to get them back anyway because he also, for some reason, wanted to change the master socket in the house and in doing so cut the wire back too much and now it is pulled tight across an internal corner above the skirting board. So if anything knocks it or gets put down on it it will stretch and eventually break the cable.

Everything these days seems to be such hard work getting it done right.

Thanks once again

Russell

If I was you I would protect the cable in some way before burying it. I'm no expert, but perhaps you could get a length of grey pipe and spilt it so that you can open it up and put the cable through it before burying (hope that makes sense.

I used to work for a BT contractor a few years back (I was office based) from what I remember BT own engineers are not allowed to lay duct in the ground as they are not accredited to do so, therefore it must be done by the relevent BT Openreach contracto., The engineer has obviously used what he considers to be the most cost effective soultion in this instance.

Sponsored Links
Yeah, that's exactly what I was going to do (split a length of pipe and snap it over the cable) until I saw that bloody great connector block in the way. Guttering down pipe may fit ok and if not then 110mm drain pipe would do.

I am going to speak to BT first and see if I can get then to replace the complete cable with armoured. If they are unwilling to do this I think I will cut the existing grey pipe further down before it starts bending upwards and then , as you suggested, snap some guttering or drain pipe over the connector and the un-armoured cable to protect it. Also, just in case, I think I will do as Bernard suggested and put a new piece of ducting in made from solvent weld waste pipe with a draw cord in place).

Thanks for the ideas guys

Russell

The eng will not have access to any duct and what he has done is what all engineers would have done , the only way to have the cable replaced from the box in the pavement is if either you are prepared to pay openreach to put the duct in (approx £400 per meter) or lay your own duct which you may be able to get off openreach if you explain the situation.

Ask the engineer when he comes out can he supply you with x-amount of ducting ......it is very cheap and usually lying around in bt depots then put it in yourself to the edge of the garden and put the joint there(accessable) .Openreach are not allowed and would not put duct in for you, as all bt ductwork is done by civil conractors and at a rough guess its about £40 per m in soft soil ,just curious why is that plastic bag around the joint take if off and inspect it............there is no reason for that,these mechanical joints are supplied by raychem and are good stand alone joints but as you say if you have the chance to takr it out DO IT just in case the joint leaks

It is very unlikely the eng will have access to any duct as it is not lying around in exchanges as it is fitted by contractors , therefore it is lying around in contractors compounds.

tomy said:
It is very unlikely the eng will have access to any duct as it is not lying around in exchanges as it is fitted by contractors , therefore it is lying around in contractors compounds.
if you go to any main BT depot TEC they will have ducting and joint boxes,this is always held in stock for unplanned work, i.e when builders anybody excavating damages duct and cable)this is all held for emergency repairs,contractors deal with all planned work

!!!!!!!! here endeth the lesson!!!!!!!!!!!!

As I am an openreach engineer I know for a fact that we do not cary any supplies of duct etc , we may have the odd joint box (jb23) but the only duct is held by our plant protection officer and that is split duct . HERE ENDETH THE LESSON !!!!!!!

Tomy, if you take a trip to Rochdale tec there is 2 pallets of duct 56 and split duct also elbows ,jb23,jb26 and jf2,,,,,,,,,also jf6 lids,,,,,,,ask your lcm can you take a trip

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HERE ENDETH THE LESSON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! + HERE ENDETH THE CONVERSATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blimey, I didn't want to start an argument,

Anyway thanks for all the replies. I contacted Openreach and they said we need to speak to BT on 150 (here we go). So we contacted BT on 150 to complain about the work and they said they would get there engineering dept to call us back within 48 hours. Well, as expected 48 hours passed and no joy. So today my wife called them again and the guy said the call is still open and there is nothing he can do, so we just have to wait for them to call us. When she asked when they would call the guy said he didn't know and he couldn't put us through directly.

Someone then suggested we contacted BT again but demand to speak to a level one manager. My wife did this and, after a little reluctance on the part of the BT operative, was put through to an accounts manager. He was actually much more helpful and was obviously used to dealing with irate customers. As I say, he was very helpful and put my wife through to the engineering dept and she explained our case. They sympathised with us and aggreed to send a member of the engineering dept round on Monday to do the work FOC.

Here's hoping that it is done as we wish this time. All I want is to know that if the cable breaks down in one, two or five years time etc, they can get a new cable in place without having to dig up our new drive that is costing thousands to have done.

BT have to be one of the most frustrating companies to get hold of, and I mean BT and not Openreach who have been helpful and contactable but unfortunately couldn't help. You just cannot seem to get through to the person you want to speak to. There is only one single point of contact which is 150, you stay on hold for any length of time (sometimes 45 minutes), and then when you do speak to someone they are totally unhelpful and just say they will call back, which they obviously don't do. :mad:

Anyway, I'm off to have a nice cold beer and calm down.

Russell

If it was me I would pop up to B&Q and buy myself a few lengths of grey waste-pipe to save a lot of arguing.

It would also be worth trenching it a bit. You could probably dig it out yourself quicker than getting someone else to do it.

Russel, John d is correct, if openreach turn up on monday they will not dig for you and as I stated earlier you can either dig yourself or let openreach pass this to contractors at your cost and further delay the job........I also suggest you dig atrench in before monday and if the guy turns up with arm cable the job could be done there and then.

" here endeth the lesson"

That looks a complete bodge,The correct way if you are having anything laid over the cable would be to have the duct extended to your wherever you need the ug cable to surface,you can do this yourself and BT should supply you with the duct.The ug feed should then be replaced in one continuos length to the nearest JB to your property.If that joint in the photo is buried under block paving etc and eventually goes faulty then your drive will have to come up to repair it,thats if the engineer can track it precisely and find it under your drive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back