nut wont budge!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bought a new tap handle set as the pack said it was easier than fitting new taps - but I cant turn the nut on the old ones to get the old tap body out.I guess there's limescale in there so what's the trick to loosening nuts that wont budge?

Sponsored Links
can you not undo the pipe connection to the tap, then undo the nut that holds the tap?

If it is limesacale use.......stuff in a blue palstic bottle from any good supermarket, it fizzes lime sacale away (havent got any at the minute so i cant say what it is called but it is good (or bad) for lime scale

breezer said:
can you not undo the pipe connection to the tap, then undo the nut that holds the tap?

Yes I could but the whole point of this kit is that you dont need to remove the taps underneath.Was just hoping for a way to crack this tight nut.
Just went to try the hot one instead and found I cant turn off the hot water as the gate valve is stuck as well. :(

Sponsored Links
Depends on the design of tap, but a whack on a spanner with a hammer can work where a 4ft spanner would just twist things the wrong bits. Also it can be worth heating the parts with a blowlamp or heat gun.

Also, especially if your taps are old and you have to use the (supplied) threaded inserts, you might find the new parts won't screw in. It seems the thread tapping devices they used to use were all worn or undersized, so the thread is just too tight. In that case you can dismantle the innerds of your old taps, descale, grease anew with silicone grease, and fiddle for half an hour until you realise how the thing came apart - some aren't easy!

Defective gate valves (and drain cocks and stop cocks) are a common pain. Cheap ones are the worst, but the £7 (with trade discount!) ones aren't all that much better. Yes the problem is scale more often than not, but you can't get the descaler in there until the tap's/valve's apart.
So you drain the tank assuming the ballvalve or stop cock works, then deal with the muck and air locks you get in the pipes. Freezing avoids some of that.

Plumbing's easy, isn't it!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back