Non-Makita pruners?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As a Makita lover I've tried hard to justify dropping £600 on a bare DUP180Z. I can't. So I have a few options:

Bosch pruner (using the 12v system). It's a little odd that these are only available from Ebay and Aliexpress making me wonder if they're all actually fake. It's a nice idea because I already have tools using those batteries. But no stock in any of the usual places, FFX and so on.

Milwaukee M12 shears. At half the price of the Makita bare unit these are still expensive but a good brand so should be decent quality. Annoying that it'll be my third battery system after Makita 18 and Bosch 12 but a lot of people like this model.

One of the many Makita-bat compatible shears. Some of these have good reviews. The trouble is then I have to choose which one and there are so many. Prices vary greatly.

Dewalt 18v. A popular pruner, good value, significantly less than the Milwaukee but a bit bulky and the hand guard makes it harder to get between other branches.

Ryobi 18v Never got any of their stuff before but they have a pole pruner option, so if I get into the battery system I should be able to get the pole version later if I need it at slightly lower cost.

Any advice for me?
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
i purchased a set off ebay

comes complete with 2 24v batteries and a dual plugin charger cable
pretty cheap £150

2 settings for width of blades - works well - seems to be a generic set available from a few suppliers

I have a lot of Dewalt cordless kit 18V - and never saw those when i was looking a couple of years ago.

20v is the US product - same Dewalt - they quote 20V and UK 18V - forgotten the reason, but did know at one time, i think it was due to differentiate between the old 18v range and new range where batts where not compatible on the 2 ranges - and 20V when fully charged rather than the 18v nominal

As you are in UK - where are you seeing the 20V ???

I have 2x 2Ah 2x 3Ah and 1x 5Ah batteries , I would proabably try it with the 2Ah see how long they last , as very light - when doing a lot of drilling and impact driver DIYer not TRADE , the 2Ah last a couple of days, nice and light

Sponsored Links
Yeah, I'm in the UK, but watched a lot of reviews for these shears from US and AU so I think that's where 20v comes from. Thanks for the clarification.

my plan when these ebay secateurs give up , was to get the dewalt ones, as we use in the garden now all the time , pruning and mainly cutting up stuff we have cut down into the green garden bins , very quick and saves the hands
cuts quite thick branches

as writing just had a FFX deal 7% off everything and free delivery over £25 - till 10pm 6th May
not sure if thats OFF list price or off sale price
so under £112 quid - if they do

If you want a more 'secateurs' type these are very good.

Relativity light compared to the larger more commercial types. Perfect for those with arthritic hands who would struggle with the weight.

If you want a more 'secateurs' type these are very good.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-ea...ic hands who would struggle with the weight.

I used to have the bosch glue pen in green with the USB charger but I got a bit annoyed with it. Never charged when I needed it. I switched to Makita battery compatible amazon one and decided not to buy tools with integrated battery in the future. I'm sure I'll be more interested in those ones in a few years when I've decayed a bit more!

my plan when these ebay secateurs give up , was to get the dewalt ones, as we use in the garden now all the time , pruning and mainly cutting up stuff we have cut down into the green garden bins , very quick and saves the hands
cuts quite thick branches

as writing just had a FFX deal 7% off everything and free delivery over £25 - till 10pm 6th May
not sure if thats OFF list price or off sale price
so under £112 quid - if they do
It doesn't look like that deal is available to me. But I can't go for the bare, need the batteries and charger, and that pushes up the price a fair bit towards the Milwaukee, which may be a better deal when you take into account cheaper batteries:

£229

vs
£189

Bosch pruner (using the 12v system). It's a little odd that these are only available from Ebay and Aliexpress making me wonder if they're all actually fake.
when you look at ebay they can mislead by saying "for bosch" or "genuine for"
so check full description with a magnifying glass
and dont forget they have there own very similar CE mark that means Chinese exports

Yes, I get that but for the Bosch one it's the oddest thing I've seen.

Some importers have it:

I can find it on the Bosch website only for the Oman region:
Video:
A comparison with the Parkside one (which annoyingly also doesn't seem to be available in the UK)
The reviewer notices there's something of a manufacturing defect at
Which doesn't seem like usual Bosch quality. I have a few Bosch tools in the 12v range (drill, impact driver, recip saw, dremel-type tool) and they're all very well put together.

This tool does look ideal for me, however it's all too weird and I'd rather stick with Dewalt or Milwaukee unless/until I see one of the better known distributors stocking it (FFX, Lawson, D&M etc...)

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
this would unnerve me
"
Postage:
£1.99 SpeedPAK Standard. See detailsfor postage
Located in: 深圳, China"

top page rhs

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
as an aside as you are now talking bosch just be aware that bosch blue[pro] and bosch green [diy] are not compatable

I've just ordered the bosch ones for the father inlaw so I can let you know how they perform when they arrive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back