Noises from Computer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I keep getting what seems to be the fan speeding up and slowing down noises and is quite annoying! :evil:

It is a Dell Inspiron 530 Desktop.

Any ideas how to fix this or does the fan need changing.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
The fan probably need a clean, they attract dust, the speeding up and slowing down might be related to the cpu temperature.

Wotan

Thanks Wotan.

I have give it a good clean and it is a lot quieter. Think maybe the fan is on its way out.

Fans are generally simple to replace and cost about £10 or cheaper from computer fairs.

I take it in your case you are referring to the case cooling fan, but it is also worth cleaning the PSU fan and the processor fan as well. If the PSU fan is faulty you will need to relace the whole init (£15 - £20) - easy enough to do, but you just need to keep a note of where all the connectors go to when removing the old unit.

Sponsored Links
Fans are generally simple to replace and cost about £10 or cheaper from computer fairs.

You buy very expensive fans for OEM PCs.

If the PSU fan is faulty you will need to relace the whole init (£15 - £20)

And yet dangerously cheap PSUs.

Have a look at Maplins, that will verify my costings. Obviously the PSU type is dependant on the MOBO. MAPLINS.CO.UK - no problems. Computer fairs, know who you are buying from is key, but I have never had any failures.

Its also worth remembering that airflow is required even with the best fan setup.

Make sure your fans are either extracting or blowing in the right direction, the amount of rear fans Ive seen blowing air into the case is amazing.

Cable tie your power and ide/sata cables to either each other or the framework of the case to keep airflow unobstructed, even the speaker, light (hdd/fdd/power), reset/usb/firewire cables should be neatly organised.

And don't forget to clean and apply a new layer of thermal compound between cpu and heatsink/fan. I still have tubes of arctic silver I use, don't know these days if theres better out there.

Have a look at Maplins, that will verify my costings. Obviously the PSU type is dependant on the MOBO. MAPLINS.CO.UK - no problems. Computer fairs, know who you are buying from is key, but I have never had any failures.

Maplin sell cheap **** at inflated prices. I can buy extremely high quality fans for under £5 a piece, but decent PSUs cost a lot more than 20 quid.

Maplins will do for me. Branded components with the usual 12 month warranty but have never had to use it.

I will cetainly be sticking with them.

Mostly rebadged Casemate rubbish.

Corsair or Coolermaster is my choice. the latter not much more expensive at £50-60 and the former stuff at £70-240.

Maplins will do for me. I get a 12 month warranty but have never had to use it.

I will cetainly be sticking with them.

Twelve months? I get up to seven years on PSUs.

I feel sorry for anyone you pass this crap on to.

Thats great if you think you will be using the same old out dated computer in 7 years time.

Maplins will do for me - and many others.

Thats great if you think you will be using the same old out dated computer in 7 years time.

Maplins will do for me - and many others.

Yes, well, you and many others probably enjoy the smell of burning chinese PSUs.

Feel free to buy and use cheap junk yourself, but do not advise others to use it.

Sponsored Links
Back