New soil stack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all,

We're almost finished getting an extension built. It extends off the side of the house, over a drain at the rear of the house, that the sink/dishwasher/washing machine waste drained into (I've already moved those), which the builder has covered.
The extension is to have a bathroom upstairs, and WC down stairs, one atop the other both at the back of the extension. The toilet upstairs is only a metre or so off the old external wall (which handily is the corner where the existing bathroom is), the toilet downstairs on the new external wall.

Now I've rambled on, seemingly pointlessly, the point :)
Due to a slight miscomunication with the builder he hasn't quoted to install and connect up a new soil stack setup, and now doesn't have the time to do it.
As we're doing all the inside, a "little" extra work isn't really a bother, so I intend to do it myself. But I don't know how, and I hope you're the guys to show/tell me how :)

I figure I can take the upstairs soil straight down enough to take a "waste manifold" (screwfix 40832-89), 92.5 degree and 800mm to the old external wall, 90 degrees turn, 800mm to the back of the house, another 90 degree turn, and 400-500mm to the existing cast iron soil stack (screwfix 29610-89)?
There will also be a sink, bath, and shower, up there.

The downstairs is where I'm really stuck.
What I do know is that the sewer from the blocked up drain is almost perfectly in line with the location of the new toilet, which is on the new external side wall. I saw it down there while the foundations were being dug. The sink will be on the new rear external wall, 2m and 1 corner from external access to the underground drain, there is a door way preventing access to the existing soil stack and drain.
So, do I bring the 4" pipe out under the DPC, and down outside the new foundations, teeing into the drain? How do you tee into that clay (?) pipe (it's kinda orange, if that helps)? I also need to do something with the sink waste.
As you may have noticed, I really don't have a clue! :(

I'm aware there are building regs covering soil stacks, but I've not actually read anything yet, I'm more interested in how at the moment, and whether I can actually do it!

Thanks all

Sponsored Links
If the builder now says he has not got time to do the extra work after covering up the existing drain I would now start to worry! Does not sound like a diy have a go job but an experienced plumber ? drainlayer is needed to get the job right. Ask the builder why he's passing the book? Then get a couple of quotes in to do the job properly, could end up costly by what you are describing.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys, have had building control round now, and have a much simpler plan of action set out.
I can dig out and connect to the previously covered kitchen drain.

Mike

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back