new extention poor brickwork advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i have had a extention built and the pics are the outcome, to me it looks very messy, can brickies reply letting me know what has happened and the best way to fix it please

my first issue is the differant colour morter in the top left corner, the bricky claims it dried out to fast, but the rest of the brickwork has been done with yellow sand,white cement and yellow powder die, to match the rest of the house, i belive they forgot the yellow die for that section

after mentioning the mortor splash everywhere it looks like they had a go at the top with a wire brush, prob damaging some of the bricks, im looking for some advice or if im over reacting, would you be happy with this job?

zoom in on the pics to see the issues

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
It's not the worst brickwork, just needs a general clean, the area with different colour mortar normally would weather in but the soffit may prevent that, you can use a mortar dye on that section if it still stands out after cleaning.
Maybe more importantly you seem to have no weepvents/cavity tray above openings?

"Maybe more importantly you seem to have no weepvents/cavity tray above openings?"

could you elaborate on this a bit more mate, im no brickie so i dont really understand

"Maybe more importantly you seem to have no weepvents/cavity tray above openings?"

could you elaborate on this a bit more mate, im no brickie so i dont really understand
Basically above your window opening where your lintels are its good practice to have either a sloping piece of DPM from the internal leaf to the external leaf so if there is any ingress of water it is directed to the external leaf above the window where it then passes through weep holes to the outside, or alternatively the lintel itself incorporates this sloping drainage section. As said, good practice but generally not an issue unless you have water ingress

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-26 111814.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-26 111814.png
    409.5 KB · Views: 21
Sponsored Links
...otherwise you can get a build-up of condensation sitting on top of the lintel that will make them rust. You could retrofit weep vents, you couldn't really retrofit a DPM without knocking it down.

Weep vents should be fitted as standard, and any builder should know this. But they never used to be fitted, it may or may not have been a major issue. The mortar does have a level of porosity that will allow water out, and lintels are always shaped as shown above to tip the water towards the outer leaf.

Some new homes routinely have fake weep vents fitted where the brickies can't be arsed, which achieve absolutely nothing...

Bricks are porous and the walls cope without weep holes.

Missing weep vents are only really an issue with timber frames and continuous storey trays and not those just above openings.

Bricks are porous and the walls cope without weep holes.

Missing weep vents are only really an issue with timber frames and continuous storey trays and not those just above openings.
Plenty of threads on here of problems with no cavity trays fitted above windows/doors Woody, surely standard practice that any brickie would do, i have for the last 40 years (y)

Plenty of threads on here of problems with no cavity trays fitted above windows/doors Woody, surely standard practice that any brickie would do, i have for the last 40 years (y)
Having no cavity trays is different to having no weep joints.

Yes it is standard practice, but in context of this thread it's not a big drama. It's a "Can you drill out the weep joints. Thanks", not a "OMG, my weep joints, MY WEEP JOINTS!"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back