My kitchen refit.

I don’t quite know what you mean but there are tall cupboards going either side of that (fridge freezer and larder unit) and they will be set to the same height. Will look something like this when done.

View attachment 342612
That looks great. I can't believe how quick you did it.

Should be finished by the weekend.?

Sponsored Links
Just finished today’s slog. My mate is coming round in the morning to plaster the wall for me. I’ve been chipping all the tile grout off and any loose pieces. Almost everything was loose! Bricked up the existing extractor hole and chased out for the new extractor spur. Bloody walls are solid cement in places and I smashed my thumb more than once with the club hammer. I initially tried to cut a channel with my multi tool but look what it did to the blades.

IMG_1538.jpeg

Some of lumps of plaster that came out were quite deep - 2 or 3 inches in places so I went out and bought some bonding to chuck in the holes so they are not too deep tomorrow and take ages to set. I do mean chuck in too - I used the patented Mottie 'fling and fill' method! 9.50pm and I’ve just finished.

Well my mate came round this morning and plastered the walls for me. Going to come back and finish the window reveals when I’ve had the new window fitted. Wouldn’t take a penny off of me for it so I stuffed £100 in his pocket and after he had left, I saw he had put it under a cup on the table so I’ve got to get him back when he's next round.

Before:
8BA40D7B-C74B-4A40-852E-CAEA0E7828CB.jpeg

After:
IMG_1544.jpeg

At least I can crack on with the units now.

Sponsored Links
At least I can crack on with the units now.
Well that was easier said than done. After spending a whole day getting the ovens fitted into the housing and the door, drawer and infill panel spot on, they've all got to come out again. I could cry!

Well that was easier said than done. After spending a whole day getting the ovens fitted into the housing and the door, drawer and infill panel spot on, they've all got to come out again. I could cry!

Why?

When I lined up the larder housing to the oven housing, it was out and I had a gap at the bottom against the wall. The wall is slightly out too so might need hacking or skimming. Checked again and the oven housing is leaning slightly backwards. Going to have to take the ovens out, loosen the oven housing from the wall, build up the fridge/freezer housing on the left, connect all three tall units together and sod about with those units until I get the best fit. I’m on a break at the moment, might give it a rest until next Wednesday.

Plan B. Forget the oven/fridge/larder units for a while and concentrate on the base units. At least when they are done, they can come round and measure up the template for the quartz worktop. Yeah, that sound like a plan. While that is being made, I can then carry on fùcking up something else! :LOL:

My days work! Not a lot but it’s solid and I think it’s spot on. :giggle:
IMG_1571.jpeg

Today’s possible headache was to move the stopcock 4 inches to the right as it would be in the way for the dishwasher. Then simply connect the dishwasher back up as we were getting fed up lugging dirty crockery upstairs to do the washing up in the bath. I couldn’t believe my luck - it all went like a dream. I even replaced the stop cock with a lever valve. Then it all went to shìt! I went to connect it up to the waste and I saw a drip coming from the waste where it goes through the wall - there was a crack in the pipe. I tried to change bit that but ended up changing all of it because it had solvent joints. Problem was, it was also solvent welded to the soil stack so I ended up replacing the lower section of soil stack too! I suppose these waste pipes do get brittle with age though - they have been there for 25 years after all, getting hot, cold, hot, cold - they were fitted when the kitchen was last changed. Anyway, to sum it all up, I basically spent all day just fitting the dishwasher back to within 4 inches of where it came out of!

Last edited:
Did nothing today as I was fixing my DIL's car but I did save some money on the kitchen. I bought my appliances a while ago from one local independent electrical store. Did me a good price on a package - two ovens, a fridge freezer and an induction hob. The items were individually itemised on the invoice. I got everything apart from the hob which was supposed to arrive in 2-3 weeks. It’s been over 3 weeks now so I phoned up to find out what was happening. The original salesman was off today so I got the idiot. He basically said "That’s Neff for you!" and couldn’t even tell me when I would be seeing it. He said there were none in the country and they didn’t know when there would be. I phoned up Neff and was told they had no stock, we’re waiting for a delivery. The next delivery to Neff was planned for June 7th and there was a backlog of customers waiting so there was no guarantee that I would get one of 'em! I started phoning round, nobody had one and then I tried AO. They had just two left in stock in the whole country. What’s more, they were the same price that I had been originally charged in the invoice but literally from today, Neff are running a cashback promotion of some of their items and my hob comes with a £150 cashback deal so I ordered one from AO, it’s coming on Monday, and told the local supplier to give me a refund which they are doing. I tried to do the right thing by buying local but it just didn’t work out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back