Mercedes a200 d - filling with smoke in the cabin and from the engine bay.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey, apologies in advance for the long winded essay.

so I’ve got a 2019 Mercedes A200d premium. In January it broke down when I was sitting in it to warm up due to it being a frosty morning. I was sat in the car for all of 3-5 minutes when the car interior started to fill with smoke. Knowing that’s not right I switched the car off and got out, when I noticed the smoke coming from the engine bay. I left it 5/10 minutes before I opened the bonnet.

When I opened the bonnet I could see smoke coming from the alternator. Both the interior and smoke from the engine bay smelt like wiring burning ish.

The garage it originally went to thought it was possibly the starter motor, the alternator and was hoping it hadn’t done any damage to the wiring loom. Brut it would need a new battery and auxiliary battery the same time.

It’s since been collected and picked up by the dealership I bought it from who have run their own diagnostic on it but they now believe it to be the “air conditioning belt rubbing and causing friction which would in turn cause the smoke and smell”.

I’m no mechanic and have no clue what’s going on. Anyone have any sort of input ?

I do have a video of the engine smoking on the morning of it. Not sure if I can upload it to this thread though

Sponsored Links
The garage it originally went to thought it was possibly the starter motor, the alternator and was hoping it hadn’t done any damage to the wiring loom. Brut it would need a new battery and auxiliary battery the same time.

Why, if the cause was as below?
It’s since been collected and picked up by the dealership I bought it from who have run their own diagnostic on it but they now believe it to be the “air conditioning belt rubbing and causing friction which would in turn cause the smoke and smell”.

A rubbing belt, would give of an acrid, rubber smell.

Not entirely sure, they believed the smoke to be coming in through the passenger footwell.

I’m currently waiting on the report of the second garage. When my finance company sent their technician to inspect the car in the garage first time. Their report included a wide array of error codes, to which I think they thought it was pointing towards the loom and so on.

Do you need to know the exact reasons? Its quite likely to be more than 1, and potentially 1 reason may have caused more issues.

It sounds like it is being sorted for you. Under warranty ? As long as the end result is there, they can give the final definition then?

Or am I missing something?

Sponsored Links
Not as of yet, it just seems to be completely different what each garage is saying.

My finance company forced the dealership to repair the car due to owning it less than 6 months. The warranty would not touch it due to the first garage suspecting it being an electrical fault. Just a bit of a loss on what to make of the whole situation, and how they can be so far apart on their diagnosis.

I am currently waiting on another report for the second garage to find out what they believe to the the fault

Back