Macerator (short) tripping breaker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I've seen a couple of posts about macerators and wondered if you could give some advice. My Grundfos Sololift2 WC1 Macerator is not working and tripping the breaker. I have taken it out, cleaned it and wired it back in unladen/empty, and it's fine. But when I flush and trigger the motor to start, it trips the breaker again. Is it a burnt out motor?
Thanks for any help/advice. Adam

Sponsored Links
I would use some thing to measure load, To solar panel so freezers and central heating 8 Feb 24.jpg clamp on meter is favourite, but the smart meter, the solar software, the energy plug in meter, can all do the same job.

Typically for motors we have a special overload 1715334874517.pngthese allow use to set the run load and will normally trip out if the motor is stalled, the typical controls PartID_CU.jpg found in the consumer unit, the first two come as B, C, and D, this is how much instantaneous load they will take, i.e. magnetic part of the trip, so a B16 will allow between 3 and 5 times the 16 amp at start up, and a C 5 - 10 and a D 10 - 20, however these are also selected to trip within the loop impedance required, so it is not a simple just swap it, some measurement need taking first. The Isolator should never trip, and the RCD is looking for an imbalance which would indicate leakage to earth.

Motors can also have electronic start systems, soft start or inverter drives, these often include overload protection, it may well be some thing has burnt out, normally smell is best tool, yes you can normally smell burn windings, the other tool is the insulation tester VC60B.jpg but guess work is not the way to do it, or replacing bits until it works, some times one has to accept one has not got the tools, and best option is call an electrician.

Sounds as if water is entering the electrics chamber due to a failed water tight seal.

Sponsored Links
If it is wired to a RCD then put a plug on the end and an extension lead to re test.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back