Long Long Cable Run

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just moved in to a new house that has a large out building about 80m away from the house. I was told by the last owner that the supply was good for about 63a in the out building but after closer inspection I now doubt that!

There is a 16mm cable coming from the house via a 63a MCB then travels underground to a plastic control panel 40m from the house. In here the supply is split in two (one cable supplies some garden lights from a 6a MCB and 50a MCB for the out building)

Another 16mm cable then goes back underground for another 40m run to the outbuilding where it terminates in to a consumer unit (TT earth at out building)

Is this good for 50-60a or does it all now need looking at? I will be wanting to run some hand wash units, lights, water pumps, sockets etc and want it to be able to cope

Any advice would be great!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
T&E should not be in permanent contact with water. There's a certain risk of that when running it underground.

Also it's prohibited by regs to run cable under ground which is not surrounded by earthed metal.

You would need a 35mm² cable to supply 50A over that sort of distance, so the current cable in all reality is completely unsuitable.

Also it's prohibited by regs to run cable under ground which is not surrounded by earthed metal.
"Except where installed in a conduit or duct which provides equivalent protection against mechanical damage..."

But as RF points out, the volt drop may be prohibitive for 50A full load, unless you're starting out with a voltage higher than 230V (which is this country, to be honest, is relatively likely) and/or equipment/lighting which can operate to a lower voltage than 218.5V/223.1V.

Loop impedance you should be OK with, but difficult to tell without a loop impedance tester.

What rating are the OPDs in the outbuilding CU.

It is unlikely you will be using 50A there (some houses only have a 60A supply) so volt drop could be calculated on the actual load.

The tlc calculator shows that your volts drop is too high. You're only allowed a 3% volt drop between your incommer and the furthest light in your out building.

The tlc calculator shows that your volts drop is too high. You're only allowed a 3% volt drop between your incommer and the furthest light in your out building.

so what is the max current with the existing cable I can use?

Don't forget that there's more (or should that be less) to it than a straight 3% blanket coverage.

If the lighting is not affected by volt drop then it doesn't matter.

our supply voltage is between 242-247v and we also have access to 3 phase.
The volt drop on your cable will be about 11.2V at 50A, that's bringing the voltage down to 230.8V min, which would be absolutely fine, being as that is the nominal voltage anyway!

What are my options? Im having an even soon and we are hiring some toilets and showers (showers are gas powered) but both these need a 32A supply.
As long as the diversified load of everything you're plugging in down there is below 50A, that will be OK. Remember that's load, not the size of any protective device required for discrimination, or size of socket on the end of the cable, therefore please please clarify this with the equipment suppliers if things don't add up, and ask what the 32A is made up of if they say it's load. You should not need anywhere near 32A if you've gas hot water.

our supply voltage is between 242-247v and we also have access to 3 phase.
The volt drop on your cable will be about 11.2V at 50A, that's bringing the voltage down to 230.8V min, which would be absolutely fine, being as that is the nominal voltage anyway!

What are my options? Im having an even soon and we are hiring some toilets and showers (showers are gas powered) but both these need a 32A supply.
As long as the diversified load of everything you're plugging in down there is below 50A, that will be OK. Remember that's load, not the size of any protective device required for discrimination, or size of socket on the end of the cable, therefore please please clarify this with the equipment suppliers if things don't add up, and ask what the 32A is made up of if they say it's load. You should not need anywhere near 32A if you've gas hot water.

Thanks for your reply. I have seen pictures of the units we are to hire and had specs... they are connected via a 240v 32a plug to the electric supply and there are lights, water pumps for showers etc and for waste. There are also what looks like water heaters above the sinks powered by fused spurs (look like hand wash units) possibly dryers too but cant be sure.

We have two units coming, one toilet block and one shower block.

Now I cant see them all been used at once or at full capacity so that may help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back