Lighting Control Board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm after some advice/guidance, I'm in the process of renovating an old house I would like to add automation and "smart" control to some elements the principle one being lights. I've found a range of products that I would like to use that are DIN rail mounted they accept switch inputs and provide outputs to loads (lights in this case). My question really is about the connection of this to domestic lighting circuits. I am not an electrician but work with industrial machinery and Scada so to me the installation was quite simple wire switches and light fittings back to an enclosure (maybe even an unpopulated consumer unit) and then connect them into the controller probably with one controller per room (in the same board, one board per floor) so far simple.

Then I started thinking about getting power to the controller, all of my experience with PLC type equipment is in a industrial environment 99.9% of those have dedicated feeds from fuse boards as they use far more power than my lights will do. Am I over thinking this is it just as simple as running the lighting radial between the controllers as if they were junction boxes in the older standard that i'm taking out? Would there need to be some kind of fused spur to the board to allow isolation or even the more industrial approach and have a cut off/MCB in the board that the radial can loop into or terminate on. The only other thing in the circuit would be a shaver socket (I could run this through a controller but don't see much point as it can just be on all the time) and a light in the loft (so you can see the board if the smart stuff fails)

Obviously I won't go running new lighting circuits or connecting to fuse boards my intention was to run the supply's and switch lines to the controllers as I go through each room and renovate (the process is over several months in my spare time) and then an electrician can come in and run everything thats needed to a new fuse board and we are off to the races. So I'm after some advice on what people think is a viable way of connecting this setup together just in case it alters the board design.

Basic overview/Info:

There will be a shaver socket, loft light and 3 or 4 controllers on the circuit.
The controllers connect to the rooms switches and Lights.
One controller per room.
One board per floor. The upstairs board in the loft and downstairs in a walk in wardrobe upstairs so both accessible.
currently the house has 2 lighting circuits on 6 amp MCB's one per floor, I assume this stays the same but if any suggestions or regs require these to be higher then maybe thats a factor.
I was planning on using 1.5mm T&E for the wiring from controller to lights and maybe 3core&E to the switches just in case in the future they are converted to displays that need neutrals.

Really appreciate any input/advice that people have.

Sponsored Links
I did consider a PLC with a HMI myself, as I had one spare, however two reasons I did not, one is could not see how I could work it with voice commands, and two the major reason, if anything happens to me, who can repair it.

SCARDA only done in Uni, never in the real world, which rings alarm bells as to who could repair it? I known my son works with it, and also know his wages, which it way above standard domestic house bashing wages.

As an industrial electrician all my work was under the control of a skilled or instructed person, this is not the case with domestic, I am uncertain as to what can be used in a domestic situation?

Hi Eric, thanks for the reply. I probably should have included the product in question. photo is attached they are the Shelly pro range which shares similarities with a plc it is effectively but this solution is more similar (but at a much reduced cost) to systems like lutron or control 4 than an industrial plc like a simatic. I would agree that those industrial systems have no place in the home and you would struggle with integration to anything for the home market.
1715122634198.jpeg

This topic aligns with my own interests, so I thought I'd throw a couple of comments in..

I'm planning similar with a dedicated radial circuit (6 or 10A, not sure yet) to feed the a lighting control box in the loft, contents of which are still, but from that location I've run 20 or 25mm conduit to all swich and fixture locations so I can (re)wire according to my later choices.

I'm using Shelly products elsewhere, but not the pro series, and I'm impressed with the quality compared to some other home automation equipment.

I would urge you to consider likely failure scenarios, and how you can quickly revert the system to a 'dumb' one to allow basic functionality. I have looked at latching relays which can be triggered either manually via a physical switch, or from some other third party device (maybe shelly, maybe something else). That way if I suffer an automation failure, manual switching should still trigger the relays. Obviously this put the single point of failure now at the relay, however with careful component selection, this should be minimised.

Sponsored Links
The question has to be WHY? Why go out on a limb with a fancy custom control system, when there are better, standard, and well integrated methods for light and power control?

Any standard switch can be swapped in minutes, for a smart switch, easily programmed by the likes of Alexa, to operate under set conditions, or controlled by voice/phone. Why reinvent the wheel?

when there are better, standard, and well integrated methods for light and power control?
Be carefull when deciding which method to use.

Some of these "standard" methods depend on an internet connection to a remote hub which is at first is a free service but after a while connection to the hub becomes subject to a subscription fee.

Some of these "standard" methods depend on an internet connection to a remote hub which is at first is a free service but after a while connection to the hub becomes subject to a subscription fee.

My understanding, is that they can use several different companies servers..

The question has to be WHY? Why go out on a limb with a fancy custom control system, when there are better, standard, and well integrated methods for light and power control?

Any standard switch can be swapped in minutes, for a smart switch, easily programmed by the likes of Alexa, to operate under set conditions, or controlled by voice/phone. Why reinvent the wheel?
Not all smart ecosystems are created equal, as other have stated, many rely on an internet connection to work, and not everyone want Amazon or Google listening in to everyhting that goes on in a household. Having a central switching centre enables easier control, and also removal of control for multiple lighting circuits, so kinda makes sense.

My understanding, is that they can use several different companies servers..
All equally useless when the road-mender stick a backhoe through your phone-line (assuming you're fortunate enough to have someone come out and fix the roads)..

There's a few smart-home systems that are not internet dependant, Home Assistant being one, but even then they're not always infallable.

I was trying to avoid too much discussion about the "smart" element and focus more on the electrical side of things but here's an overview of why i've chosen this route.
The comments that @bernardgreen and @Ouch77 have made are spot on this or they stop being supported all together, I'm sure allot of smart home people will have felt this with Logitech and the harmony range. I am using home assistant running locally.
I have no issue with products like Hue, smart things or the other more common systems for retrofit situations and the average person that is great, but a solution such as the proposed is far more flexible, you don't need to use a specific switch, bulb or light fixtures any standard UK electrical fixture can be added to the automation so the house is smart without it looking like it is and given I'm rewiring anyway it's just as easy for me to use a central system.
This kind of setup may not be as common in UK residential but high end systems like the aforementioned Lutron or control4 have used this setup for years and in commercial spaces/hotels this kind of central controller based automation has been in use for decades.
I suppose the main reason why? Same reason the previous owners put in a hideous plastic roll top bath, it was there house then and that was what they wanted. Now I would like centralised lighting automation (and to remove the bath :LOL:).

I'm planning similar with a dedicated radial circuit (6 or 10A, not sure yet) to feed the a lighting control box in the loft, contents of which are still, but from that location I've run 20 or 25mm conduit to all swich and fixture locations so I can (re)wire according to my later choices.

I'm using Shelly products elsewhere, but not the pro series, and I'm impressed with the quality compared to some other home automation equipment.
Thanks Ouch this actually makes allot of sense I can just do what we do in the plants and have the electrician run a dedicated supply for the panel i guess like they would for an alarm I can't go for conduit everywhere sadly (old house problems..) i have got a few electricians coming around to quote for moving the consumer unit so i'll ask them while there here and feed back any comments i get. your comments on backups are also well founded

Are you wanting independent light control or group control of all lights currently switched in each room?

Are you wanting independent light control or group control of all lights currently switched in each room?

independent but within reason eg if there are 3 lights above wardrobes they will all be on one circuit. grouping will be controlled by home assistant.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back