Leak under bath

Looks like you have loads of space under that bath - unless that waste pipe runs to a hopper or an open gulley then you really want a proper bath trap on that and not a shallow trap, to avoid self syphoning

1716156236498.png

Sponsored Links
Sorry I'm a complete novice so that doesn't really mean much to me!

Thanks Andy, when you say 'trap' - I Googled it and it shows a waste pipe. Is this something additional? Just so I'm sure

Sponsored Links
Sorry I'm a complete novice so that doesn't really mean much to me!
Apologies - the trap you have ( the white plastic u bend)
is designed to be used in a specific waste water pipe set up. The correct one that you should be using is the one I showed but if you are not too familiar with what's needed then it may be best just to stick with the same type that you have at the moment.
There are 2 places that the leak could be coming from - The bath trap connections or the bath waste/overflow
Bath trap > 1716194351911.png Bath waste> 1716194403869.png (click to enlarge)

The shallow bath trap seal via the 2 nuts either end - the white plastic U bend with the white plastic nuts either end, - the right hand one has a round flat rubber washer into it and tightens onto the bath waste (black threaded section that runs through the bath and is the bit that the bath plug goes into inside the bath) - the left hand nut then connects the trap onto the 40mm Waste pipe - a round conical shaped rubber seal and a plastic thrust washer.

As was suggested, you need to disconnect that bath trap off from the bath waste - right hand nut - towels/container below to catch any water - and then disconnect the left side nut and take the trap off of the waste pipe. Note carefully the way the rubber seals are sitting at both ends when you take it off. Ideally you'll replace that U bend as the one you have isn't very good - replace with one of these > McAlpine Bath Trap

Next you need to check if the bath waste is sealed to the bath tightly. That would be checked by checking to see if the screw that is inside the chrome plughole, inside the bath, is tight. Then you need to check if the overflow pipe under the bath - corrugated pipe that runs down from the overflow and connects on to the black waste section. Just make sure that's pushed on tightly.

Thanks so much for the explanation, that's really helpful.

I'm keen to replace the u bend with the correct one. I will have a look at the link to find one there. I can also pop to a plumb shop also to double check I buy the right one!

The correct one would be the one I posted first of all but if you are DIYing then it may be easier just to get the same shallow trap design as it will fit without any changes, the one from Screwfix that I linked to is the one you need - click this >> McAlpine Bath Trap .

Thanks so much for everyone for the help!
I went to the local plumb shop and in the end they recommend I just get the trap. Then come back if that wasn't enough.

I changed that over and tightened the plug as that was loose and all seems to be ok!

Super grateful thank you

Hi J,
Has your leak stopped leaking now? Sometimes, when looking, dry everything off first, then test
C

Hey yes it's been fine since I changed the trap and tightened up the plug. Thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back