Kingspan over existing plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a double skin/no cavity/no external render victorian semi, and i want to insulate some of the bedroom external walls.

I dont want to have to remove the plaster as it'll cause major disruption. It seems dot and dab is not advisable unless there is a cavity, however can i mechanically fix it instead i.e. install a baton frame over the existing plaster (screwed into the brick behind) and then screw the board onto the batons?

Sponsored Links
Yes

Attachments

• IMG_20220421_144351202.jpg
    IMG_20220421_144351202.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 64
Do you know is his was a recommended method by the manufacturer, or did you just assume it would be ok? I suppose my only concern would be the plaster behind eventually blowing

Sponsored Links
Do you know is his was a recommended method by the manufacturer, or did you just assume it would be ok? I suppose my only concern would be the plaster behind eventually blowing
Yeas, see Kingspan K118 brochure. No reason why plaster should blow if its in a solid state now.

Do you need to put a vapour barrier of any sort when doing this?
If so is this before the battens are fitted?

Depends on your view and proposed U target , mines a cavity as per K118 brochure, some will infill with insulation for higher U value or to save on space
What does the cavity created actually achieve? Is it to prevent cold moist air hitting the final internal wall, or to provide ventilation?

Is it to prevent cold moist air hitting the final internal wall
That's the insulation's job

Do you need to put a vapour barrier of any sort when doing this?
You don't need a separate sheet membrane for vapour control if you're using foil-faced board and happy with the performance of the tape you've chosen to join adjacent board edges to each other

Last edited:
It is; my take away from mattylad's post was whether a sheet membrane like visqueen or some more high tech alternative was needed. Edited for clarity

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back